Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces transferred to beam and to supports from box

1. Mar 30, 2017 #1
    Hi Guys,
    I am trying to calculate the load transferred on the beams and then to the four supports (two under each beam) from a cargo (in this case say a box) to be stored in a yard.
    I have to check the suitable beam to be used and the load transferred to each support.

Thanks in advance. :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2017 #2
    :welcome:
    The link isn't working for me (is it for anyone else?), so could you provide the details included in it?

4. Mar 30, 2017 #3
    I hope it works now...!!

Attached Files:

5. Mar 30, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Mar 30, 2017 #5
    As you are probably discovering, this is a statically indeterminate problem. The loads depend upon the deflections, both in the beams and in the box. You can write a vertical sum of forces equal to zero and moments in each horizontal axis equal to zero, but that only gives you three equations.

Your options are ---
    1) Do an FEA model;
    2) Solve for force sums (e.g., the sum of the forces at the left end, rather than taking them individually)
    3) Make a group of guesses that satisfy the three equations.

For most engineering purposes, a combination of 2) and 3) will be sufficient. If you want to get very precise, go with 1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted