1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces Vectors And Dot Products

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    Hello all :smile:,

I am interested in the following problem:

In an ensemble of atoms, the forces on atom A and atom B are given by the vectors Fa=Fax+Fay+Faz and Fb=Fbx+Fby+Fbz, respectively.

There respective positions are given by,

Pa=Pax+Pay+Paz and Pb=Pbx+Pby+Pbz

I have two questions:

(1) Would I be right in thinking that the dot product of Fa and Pb will give the magnitude of the force on atom A in the direction of atom B?

(2) Also, is the dot product of Fa and Fb the attractive force between the atoms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile::smile:!!

Ewan.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If they are vectors, use vector notation. Your notation doesn't make any sense.
    [tex]\vec F_a = \langle a_1,a_2,a_3\rangle,\ \vec F_b = \langle b_1,b_2,b_3\rangle[/tex]

[tex]\vec P_a = \langle p_1,p_2,p_3\rangle,\ \vec P_b = \langle q_1,q_2,q_3\rangle[/tex]

I have two questions:

(1) Would I be right in thinking that the dot product of Fa and Pb will give the magnitude of the force on atom A in the direction of atom B?
    [/quote]

No. The direction from atom A to atom B would be

[tex]\vec D = \vec P_b - \vec P_a[/tex]
    and you need to dot it into a unit vector in that direction.

No, but it probably has something to do with the first question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook