1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces with direction and magnitude

1. Jul 13, 2006 #1
    A particle of mass m kilograms is acted on by two forces F[1] and F[2] with magnitudes 3*sqr-root 5 newtons and sqr-root 5 newtons and directions parallel to the vectors i+2j and i-2j respectively.
    The particle is initially at a position given by the vector 2i+j

i was told to calculate the cartesian components of F[1] and F[2] and hence calculate the total force F[1] + F[2], acting on the particle in component form

i got F[1] as:
    y= 3*(root5)*sin(theta)

i got F[2] as:
    y= (root5)*sin(theta)

and then F[1] + F[2] as:
    F[x] = 4*(root5)*cos(theta)
    F[y] = 4*(root5)*sin(theta)

i was just wondering if i have done it right ???

from there i need to show the couple of the total force about the point with position vector i is zero..................does any understand this part or know how to do it ??????
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But you don't know theta, do you? So those formulas a pretty much useless. Yes, you could calculate theta from the vectors they give you but that would be like going east around the world to get to a destination 1 mile west of you!

The vector i+ 2j has length [itex]\sqrt{1^2+ 2^2}= \sqrt{5}[/itex]
    A vector in that direction, with length [itex]3\sqrt{5}[/itex] is just 3 times that: 3i+ 6j. That's your first force vector.
    Similarly, the vector i- 2j also has length [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] so that is the second force vector. The total force, then, is F1+ F2= (3i+ 6j)+ (i- 2j)= ?

For the second question I recommend that you first look up the definition of "couple of a force about a point".
  4. Jul 14, 2006 #3
    need my answer checked!!

i've looked at the definition n various examples..but they are not similar to the one im doing so i cant really figure out how to show the couple of the total force about the point with position vector i is zero...

im assuming that it is a single force...but a couple cannot be put in equilibrium by a single force!

can some help me with this question...by showing me how to do it or telling me the steps to sove it ....thankz
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?