Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Form Factor for Scattering (like muons off of protons)

1. Jan 7, 2019 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Form factor.png

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to complete the last part of this question, part 5(c). My professor has told me that the form factor $$F(q)\rightarrow1$$ as $$q\rightarrow0$$ but I am unsure how to show this.

I believe that $$\lim_{{q }\rightarrow0} \frac{\sin\left( qRh/\hbar\right)}{q^3}=\infty,$$ and $$
    \lim_{{q }\rightarrow0} \frac{\cos\left( qRh/\hbar\right)}{q^2}=\infty.$$ Is someone able to please show me where I am going wrong? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2019
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2019 #2

mjc123

Science Advisor

Consider the term in brackets. Express sin x and cos x as power series in x, and evaluate this term as far as q2.

4. Jan 13, 2019 #3
    Thanks for the help. I discovered that I had to express sinx in powers up to q3 to solve correctly.

5. Jan 14, 2019 #4

mjc123

Science Advisor

Yes, but as the sin term is divided by q, the whole term in brackets goes up to q2. That's what I meant.
    The key point is that if you treat the sin and cos terms separately, they both tend to infinity, but the whole term does not.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?