1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rutherford scattering - electromagnetic form factor

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there. This is not really a problem, I am only trying to understand something but I simply can't.
    So Rutherford scattering says that $$ \frac{d\sigma }{d\Omega}=(\frac{Ze^2m}{8\pi \varepsilon _0 p^2})^2\frac{1}{\sin ^4(\Theta/2)}|F(q)|^2$$ where $$F(q)=\int \rho (\vec x)e^{i\vec q \cdot \vec x}d^3 \vec x$$ is the electromagnetic form function. Now for spherical symmetry: $$\rho (\vec x) \rightarrow \rho(x)$$ and $$\vec q \cdot \vec x=qrcos\Theta.$$ Meaning that my form function can be written as $$F(q)=2\pi\int _0 ^1 d(cos\Theta)\int _0 ^\infty r^2dr\rho(r)e^{iqrcos\Theta}=$$ $$=\frac{4\pi }{q}\int _0 ^\infty \rho(r)sin(qr)rdr.$$

I don't understand that last step. How the hell did we get ##sin(qr)##...?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, tried to do it step by step in order to answer this question but this is as close as I could get:
    Starting with
    $$F(q)=2\pi\int _0 ^1 d(cos\Theta)\int _0 ^\infty r^2dr\rho(r)e^{iqrcos\Theta}=$$ $$=2\pi \int \rho (r)r^2dr\int e^{iqrcos\Theta}d(cos\Theta)=$$ $$=2\pi \int \rho (r)r^2dr \frac{1}{iqr}[e^{iqr}-1]=$$ $$=2\pi \int \rho (r)rdr \frac{1}{iq}e^{\frac{iqr}{2}}[e^{\frac{iqr}{2}}-e^{-\frac{iqr}{2}}]=$$ $$=\frac{4\pi }{q}\int \rho (r)re^{\frac{iqr}{2}}sin(\frac{qr}{2})dr$$

Now I wonder what am I doing wrong...?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Make sure you are using the correct limits for the integral ##d(\cos\Theta)##.

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3
    Aaaaaaaamm... Ah, of course, I have to integrate over the entire nucleus (sphere)...

So the ##d(\cos)## integral is actually from 1 to -1. And this brings me to ##sin(qr) / qr##.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  5. Apr 6, 2015 #4
    Mind = blown

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted