Form Factor for Scattering (like muons off of protons)

In summary, the conversation revolves around completing a question involving the form factor and its limit as q approaches 0. There is some confusion regarding the correct approach, with one person suggesting using power series to evaluate the term in brackets. Ultimately, it is discovered that expressing sinx in powers up to q3 is necessary for a correct solution. The key point is that while the sin and cos terms both tend to infinity, the whole term does not.
Martin89

Homework Statement

Form factor.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to complete the last part of this question, part 5(c). My professor has told me that the form factor $$F(q)\rightarrow1$$ as $$q\rightarrow0$$ but I am unsure how to show this.

I believe that $$\lim_{{q }\rightarrow0} \frac{\sin\left( qRh/\hbar\right)}{q^3}=\infty,$$ and $$
\lim_{{q }\rightarrow0} \frac{\cos\left( qRh/\hbar\right)}{q^2}=\infty.$$ Is someone able to please show me where I am going wrong? Thanks.

Attachments

• Form factor.png
    Form factor.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 967
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the term in brackets. Express sin x and cos x as power series in x, and evaluate this term as far as q2.

mjc123 said:
Consider the term in brackets. Express sin x and cos x as power series in x, and evaluate this term as far as q2.

Thanks for the help. I discovered that I had to express sinx in powers up to q3 to solve correctly.

Yes, but as the sin term is divided by q, the whole term in brackets goes up to q2. That's what I meant.
The key point is that if you treat the sin and cos terms separately, they both tend to infinity, but the whole term does not.

1. What is form factor for scattering?

The form factor for scattering is a measure of the spatial distribution of charge or magnetization within a particle. It describes how the probability of scattering a particle varies as a function of the momentum transfer between the particles.

2. How is form factor for scattering calculated?

The form factor for scattering is typically calculated using quantum field theory techniques, which involve calculating the scattering amplitude for a given interaction. This amplitude is then related to the form factor through a mathematical formula.

3. What is the significance of form factor for scattering in particle physics?

The form factor for scattering is an important quantity in particle physics because it provides information about the internal structure of particles. By studying how the form factor changes with momentum transfer, scientists can gain insight into the distribution of charge and magnetization within particles.

4. Can form factor for scattering be measured experimentally?

Yes, form factor for scattering can be measured experimentally by studying the scattering of particles, such as muons off of protons, at different momentum transfers. These experiments can provide valuable data for testing theoretical predictions and understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

5. How does form factor for scattering differ from form factor for electromagnetic interactions?

Form factor for scattering and form factor for electromagnetic interactions are related but distinct quantities. While form factor for scattering describes the spatial distribution of charge or magnetization within a particle, form factor for electromagnetic interactions describes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between particles. Both quantities can be calculated using similar techniques, but they provide different information about the particles involved.