Form Factor - Simply take the real part?

In summary, the form factor can be determined by taking the Fourier transform of the normalized charge density, which involves an integral of the form ##\int_0^R r^2 e^{-i \left( \frac{q}{\hbar} \right) r} dr##. The correct answer can be obtained by taking the real part of this integral.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Show that the Form factor is ##\frac{3(sin x - x cos x)}{x^3}##.

2013_B4_Q4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that the form factor is simply the Fourier transform of the normalized charge density:
[tex]F(q) = \int \frac{\rho}{Z} e^{-i (\Delta \vec k) \cdot \vec r} d^3 r [/tex]
[tex]= \int_0^R \left( \frac{\rho_0}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3 \rho_0} \right) e^{i \left( \frac{ q}{\hbar}\right) r} \cdot 4 \pi r^2 dr [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{3}{R^3} \int_0^R r^2 e^{-i \left( \frac{q}{\hbar} \right) r} dr [/tex]

Do I simply take the real part of this integral? Or do I have to do some form of complex/contour integration?

I tried taking only the real part, which gave the wrong asnwer: ## F(q) = \frac{3\left(x^2 sin (x) - 2x cos(x) - 2 sin (x) \right)}{x^3}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it.

1. What is the definition of "Form Factor"?

Form Factor refers to the physical size and shape of a device or component. It is often used to describe the external appearance and dimensions of electronic equipment, such as computers or mobile devices.

2. What does it mean to "take the real part" in reference to Form Factor?

Taking the real part in relation to Form Factor refers to extracting the physical dimensions and size of a device or component, rather than focusing on its theoretical or abstract aspects. It involves considering the practical and tangible aspects of an object.

3. How is Form Factor measured?

Form Factor is typically measured in terms of size, weight, and overall dimensions. This can include the length, width, and height of a device, as well as its weight and any other physical measurements that may be relevant.

4. What is the importance of considering Form Factor in scientific research?

Form Factor is important in scientific research as it can affect the functionality and performance of a device or component. The size and shape of an object can impact its capabilities, efficiency, and even its compatibility with other devices.

5. How does Form Factor affect the design and development of new technologies?

Form Factor plays a crucial role in the design and development of new technologies. Engineers and scientists must consider the physical size and shape of a device in order to create a functional and efficient product. The form factor can also impact the cost and feasibility of a new technology.