1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Form factor - spherically symmetric

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    1) Use the fact that the form factor, F(q), is the Fourier transform of the normalised charge distribution p(r), which in the spherically symmetric case gives

[tex] F(q) = \int \frac{4\pi\hbar r}{q}p(r)sin(\frac{qr}{\hbar}) dr [/tex]

to find an expression for F(q) for a simple model of the proton considered as a uniform spherical charge distribution of radius R.

This just means I can use coulomb's law as an expression for p(r). [tex] p(r) = \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0R} [/tex] ?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I take this to mean

[tex] \rho(r) = \frac{q}{V} = \frac{3q}{4 \pi R^3} [/tex] for r < R and zero elsewhere.

4. Nov 27, 2006 #3
    Thanks :). That's is what I was thinking after I posted. Don't see many [tex]\epsilon_0 [/tex] floating around in these things.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  5. Nov 27, 2006 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know it has nothing to do with Coulomb's law.

6. Dec 5, 2006 #5
    So I evaulated the integral with [tex] \rho(r) = \frac{3e}{4 \pi R^3} [/tex]
    q = momentum transfer, e = proton charge.

[tex]
    \frac{3e\hbar^2(\hbar\sin[\frac{qr}{\hbar}] - qr\cos[\frac{qr}{\hbar}])}{q^3 R^3} + C[/tex]
    Evaluated between R and 0, (F(q) = 0 between R and infinity since p(r) = 0.)

[tex] F(q) = \frac{3e\hbar^2(\hbar\sin[\frac{qR}{\hbar}] - qR\cos[\frac{qR}{\hbar}])}{q^3 R^3}[/tex]

It asks me to show that for [tex] \fracq{qR}{\hbar} << 1 [/tex] the form factor reduces to 1, i'm not seeing how the charge e can disappear here

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  7. Dec 5, 2006 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does normalised charge distribution mean?

I wonder if that means you should be dividing by a factor something like

[tex] \int \rho(r) dr [/tex]

which would remove the quantity of charge from the calculation

8. Dec 5, 2006 #7
  9. Dec 5, 2006 #8

[tex] 1 = \int \rho(r) d^3r [/tex]

10. Dec 5, 2006 #9

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like that even better. I even wrote my integral that way at first and changed it because yours just had the r integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?