Form of Solution for First Order ODE T'(t) - (1 - n^2/4)T(t) = 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter leopard
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    First order Ode
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
leopard
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
y'(t) - ay(t) = 0

What is the form of the solution? [tex]C \cdot e^{at}[/tex]

?I have this ODE:

[tex]T'(t) - (1 - \frac{n^2}{4})T(t) = 0[/tex]

If I'm right, the solutions should be of the form

[tex]C \cdot e^{(1- \frac{n^2}{4})t}[/tex]

My book, however, says [tex]C \cdot e^ {1- \frac{n^2}{4}t}[/tex]

Who's right?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brilliant.

And how about the equation

y' = (y - x)^2

what's the form of the solution here?

I find it hard to determine the form of solution of differential equations.
 
Last edited:
I would try a simple substitution first. How about v=y-x? Now see if you can separate it in those variables.