Choosing a team of 4 from 5 boys and 8 girls with at most 1 boy

  • Thread starter Thread starter Taylor_1989
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Combination
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Taylor_1989
Messages
400
Reaction score
14

A group consists of 5 boys and 8 girls. In how many ways can a team of four boys be chosen, if the team contains.

no more than one boy

So my attempt was this. I thought to myself well if I fix one girl and calculate the number on combination 5 boys can be chosen for 3 spaces which is 10, I would then multiply that by 8 to get the ans. So my ans comes out to be 80 , but the ans in back to the book comes out to be 85 any thoughts?

Big thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
A team of four boys with no more than one boy makes no sense.
My bad I ment no more than one girl. I was looking at the question below when typing this.
 
Taylor_1989 said:
My bad I ment no more than one girl. I was looking at the question below when typing this.
A team of four boys has no girls in it!

Do you mean a team of four with no more than one girl?
 
PeroK said:
A team of four boys has no girls in it!

Do you mean a team of four with no more than one girl?
yes. Let me re write the question.

A group consists of 5 boys and 8 girls. In how many ways can a team of four be chosen, if the team contains

no more than one girl.
 
Taylor_1989 said:
yes. Let me re write the question.

A group consists of 5 boys and 8 girls. In how many ways can a team of four be chosen, if the team contains

no more than one girl.
So, the team might have no girls in it?
 
Ah I don't know if you ask that question to lead me to the ans or it as an actual question, but I just realized what the question is asking me. So there is 80 combinations of having 1 girl on the team but the questions ask for no more therefore I would have to include the number of combinations for all boys i.e 5 so 80+5=85
 
That looks like the missing 5 teams in any case!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Taylor_1989