• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Combinatorics: tennis game with 8 people

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award

Homework Statement

8 friends are playing a tennis game together. How many different doubles games of tennis can they play?

Homework Equations

Combinations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I solved this problem by saying: we choose a group 4 people from 8 to play, so order is not important, this is C(8,4). If those 4 people are A,B,C,D, they can play together in 3 different ways: AB/CD; AC/BD; AD/BC, so the solution is: 3C(8,4) = 210.

I tried doing this in another way, but I suppose I am doublecounting something. This was my approach:

For one team, we choose 2 people out of 8. For the other team, we choose 2 people out of 6 (since 2 out of 8 players are already taken). So, the answer would be: C(8,2)*C(6,2). Now, I am pretty sure that I have doublecounted, but I don't know exactly what it is I have doublecounted.

It would be great of someone could help me!

Answers and Replies

For one team, we choose 2 people out of 8. For the other team, we choose 2 people out of 6 (since 2 out of 8 players are already taken). So, the answer would be: C(8,2)*C(6,2). Now, I am pretty sure that I have doublecounted, but I don't know exactly what it is I have doublecounted.
You counted (AB play against CD) and (CD play against AB) as separate events.

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

8 friends are playing a tennis game together. How many different doubles games of tennis can they play?

Homework Equations

Combinations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I solved this problem by saying: we choose a group 4 people from 8 to play, so order is not important, this is C(8,4). If those 4 people are A,B,C,D, they can play together in 3 different ways: AB/CD; AC/BD; AD/BC, so the solution is: 3C(8,4) = 210.

I tried doing this in another way, but I suppose I am doublecounting something. This was my approach:

It would be great of someone could help me!
There are C(8,4) ways of choosing a group of 4 to play doubles; for each such group of 4 there are C(4,2) ways of forming two teams of two.

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
You counted (AB play against CD) and (CD play against AB) as separate events.
I still don't get it. Where exactly do I do this?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
There are C(8,4) ways of choosing a group of 4 to play doubles; for each such group of 4 there are C(4,2) ways of forming two teams of two.
Not quite. That double counts the ways of forming 2 teams of 2.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I still don't get it. Where exactly do I do this?
C(8, 2) includes AB as a team; given AB is the first team, C(6, 2) includes CD as a team.

C(8,2) includes CD as a team; given CD is the first team,C(6,2) includes AB as a team.

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
C(8, 2) includes AB as a team; given AB is the first team, C(6, 2) includes CD as a team.

C(8,2) includes CD as a team; given CD is the first team,C(6,2) includes AB as a team.
Thanks a lot!

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
If the group is ABCD we can choose one of the pairs to be AB or AC or AD or BC or BD or CD. Whenever we make such a choice, the remaining two form the other pair.
Of course, I missed that. If the group is ABCD there are only three pairs that A can belong to, and he/she must belong to some pair.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I agree that 38C4 is probably the intended answer, but it is not in accordance with the rules of doubles tennis. within each pair, there is the question of who serves first (throughout the match) and who receives in the right hand court (for the duration of a set).