Combinatorics: tennis game with 8 people

I will take the lack of response to my last question as an indication that you are not of the opinion that this is a relevant point.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the number of different doubles games of tennis that can be played with 8 friends. One approach is to choose a group of 4 people to play, resulting in 210 possible combinations. However, another approach of choosing 2 people from 8 for one team and 2 people from 6 for the other team results in double counting, as it counts both (AB play against CD) and (CD play against AB) as separate events. The correct solution is 38C4, but there may be additional factors to consider in a real
member 587159

Homework Statement

8 friends are playing a tennis game together. How many different doubles games of tennis can they play?

Homework Equations

Combinations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I solved this problem by saying: we choose a group 4 people from 8 to play, so order is not important, this is C(8,4). If those 4 people are A,B,C,D, they can play together in 3 different ways: AB/CD; AC/BD; AD/BC, so the solution is: 3C(8,4) = 210.

I tried doing this in another way, but I suppose I am doublecounting something. This was my approach:

For one team, we choose 2 people out of 8. For the other team, we choose 2 people out of 6 (since 2 out of 8 players are already taken). So, the answer would be: C(8,2)*C(6,2). Now, I am pretty sure that I have doublecounted, but I don't know exactly what it is I have doublecounted.

It would be great of someone could help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Math_QED said:
For one team, we choose 2 people out of 8. For the other team, we choose 2 people out of 6 (since 2 out of 8 players are already taken). So, the answer would be: C(8,2)*C(6,2). Now, I am pretty sure that I have doublecounted, but I don't know exactly what it is I have doublecounted.
You counted (AB play against CD) and (CD play against AB) as separate events.

Likes member 587159
Math_QED said:

Homework Statement

8 friends are playing a tennis game together. How many different doubles games of tennis can they play?

Homework Equations

Combinations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I solved this problem by saying: we choose a group 4 people from 8 to play, so order is not important, this is C(8,4). If those 4 people are A,B,C,D, they can play together in 3 different ways: AB/CD; AC/BD; AD/BC, so the solution is: 3C(8,4) = 210.

I tried doing this in another way, but I suppose I am doublecounting something. This was my approach:

It would be great of someone could help me!

There are C(8,4) ways of choosing a group of 4 to play doubles; for each such group of 4 there are C(4,2) ways of forming two teams of two.

mfb said:
You counted (AB play against CD) and (CD play against AB) as separate events.

I still don't get it. Where exactly do I do this?

Ray Vickson said:
There are C(8,4) ways of choosing a group of 4 to play doubles; for each such group of 4 there are C(4,2) ways of forming two teams of two.

Not quite. That double counts the ways of forming 2 teams of 2.

Math_QED said:
I still don't get it. Where exactly do I do this?

C(8, 2) includes AB as a team; given AB is the first team, C(6, 2) includes CD as a team.

C(8,2) includes CD as a team; given CD is the first team,C(6,2) includes AB as a team.

Likes member 587159 and mfb
PeroK said:
C(8, 2) includes AB as a team; given AB is the first team, C(6, 2) includes CD as a team.

C(8,2) includes CD as a team; given CD is the first team,C(6,2) includes AB as a team.

Thanks a lot!

PeroK said:

If the group is ABCD we can choose one of the pairs to be AB or AC or AD or BC or BD or CD. Whenever we make such a choice, the remaining two form the other pair.
PeroK said:

Of course, I missed that. If the group is ABCD there are only three pairs that A can belong to, and he/she must belong to some pair.

I agree that 38C4 is probably the intended answer, but it is not in accordance with the rules of doubles tennis. within each pair, there is the question of who serves first (throughout the match) and who receives in the right hand court (for the duration of a set).

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and organizing objects or events in a systematic way.

2. How many different ways can 8 people play in a tennis game?

In a tennis game with 8 people, there are 8 players who can be arranged in a specific order, resulting in 8! (8 factorial) = 40,320 possible combinations.

3. How many different ways can 4 teams of 2 players be formed from a group of 8 people?

In this scenario, we need to choose 4 teams from a group of 8 people. This can be done in 8 choose 4 ways, which is equal to 8! / (4! * (8-4)!) = 70 different ways.

4. If each player can only play once, how many games can be played in a round-robin tournament with 8 people?

A round-robin tournament is a competition where each player plays against every other player. In this case, there will be 8 games played, as each player will play 7 games (since they cannot play against themselves).

5. How many different ways can a set of 3 matches be played in a tennis game with 8 people?

There are 8 players, so the first match can be played in 8 choose 2 ways. For the second match, there are 6 players left, so it can be played in 6 choose 2 ways. And for the third match, there are 4 players left, so it can be played in 4 choose 2 ways. Therefore, the total number of ways to play 3 matches in a tennis game with 8 people is 8 choose 2 * 6 choose 2 * 4 choose 2 = 1,680 ways.