Oxidation of iron and galvanised iron in bleach

In summary: Yes, there would be the same reduction reaction, but the presence of bubbles would hinder the reaction.
Hannichan
In a laboratory experiment I have tested plain carbon steel in a beaker of bleach (sodium hypochlorite), immersed for a week.

The result is a magenta-coloured solution with a large amount of ferrous hydroxide deposits.

Q1) I haven't been able to find anywhere anything that might be causing this magenta colour. Fe(II) is meant to be green, so is Fe(II) Chloride, Fe(OH)2 is brown and insoluble... so why is is deep magenta?

Q2) There is also a large amount of trapped gas at the surface of the solution. Why is this? The most likely reduction reaction is the ClO- + H2O+2e- => Cl- +2OH-, followed by O2+H2O+4e- => 4OH-. In both of these cases, no gas is involved, or gas is actually used up.
I have found that sodium hypochlorite decomposes into O2 gas (2NaClO=>2NaCl+O2), which is catalysed by the presence of metals, but WHY is this the case? In this equation the oxygen is oxidised, but in my situation it should be the iron being oxidised and therefore I need a reduction reaction. So where is the gas coming from?

Thank you!
(2nd year engineering student)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea about the magenta - it is definitely not an iron compound. Color makes me think about Mn, and it is not an uncommon element in steel - but even then I am not convinced it would be oxidized to permanganate.

Decomposition can occur as a side process, occurring completely separately from the iron oxidation.

Have you used laboratory grade pure chemical or commercial bleach ?

Borek said:
No idea about the magenta - it is definitely not an iron compound. Color makes me think about Mn, and it is not an uncommon element in steel - but even then I am not convinced it would be oxidized to permanganate.

Decomposition can occur as a side process, occurring completely separately from the iron oxidation.

Thanks Borek. Do you know why the presence of iron catalyses the decomposition?

Re: the magenta- my lecturer apparently mumbled something to someone else in my lab group about the fact that it was due to the presence of some kind of iron compound. No idea what...Maybe he was making it up?? But it was definitely extremely pink/magenta, not just a small hint due to trace elements of Mn. Strange

Nidum said:
Have you used laboratory grade pure chemical or commercial bleach ?
Commercial bleach

Borek said:

Also there were a lot more bubbles present in the beaker with plain carbon steel, compared to the beaker with galvanised steel, although theoretically the reduction reaction would be the same right?

1. How does bleach affect the oxidation of iron and galvanised iron?

Bleach contains a strong oxidizing agent, typically sodium hypochlorite, which reacts with the iron in the metal and increases the rate of oxidation. This results in the formation of rust on the surface of the iron or galvanised iron.

2. Can bleach completely remove rust from iron or galvanised iron?

No, bleach can only accelerate the oxidation process and cannot completely remove rust. It may lighten the color of the rust, making it less noticeable, but the rust will still remain on the surface of the metal.

3. How long does it take for bleach to affect the oxidation of iron and galvanised iron?

The amount of time it takes for bleach to affect the oxidation of iron and galvanised iron depends on several factors such as the concentration of bleach, temperature, and the condition of the metal. Generally, it takes a few minutes to a couple of hours for the effects to be visible.

4. Can the oxidation of iron and galvanised iron in bleach be reversed?

No, once the oxidation process has been accelerated by bleach, it cannot be reversed. The rust will continue to form on the surface of the metal until it is fully corroded.

5. Is it safe to mix bleach with other chemicals or cleaners when trying to remove rust from iron or galvanised iron?

No, mixing bleach with other chemicals or cleaners can be dangerous and should be avoided. It can release toxic fumes and cause chemical reactions that can be harmful to your health and damage the metal.