Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive Formula 1 Traction Control tuning

1. Jul 20, 2016 #1
    Hello, I'm a mechanical engineering student and I'm working in traction control for Formula 1 cars.
    The traction control in the cars is simple, too simple: an engine cut is done when the engine is at a certain RPM and slip value. A matrix of four values of RPM and slip has to be provided to limit the rev.
    I have a bunch of question about the tuning:
    What is the best way to tune this kind of traction control?
    What parameters can influence this values?
    As the traction control is not aware of the gear: do gear ratios have any influence? I thought that shorter gearbox induce more acceleration at lower RPMs and thus, more slip risk.
    What is the tolerated slip for a formula 1 car?. I know that there is a slip value for peak acceleration and for road cars is about 17%. What is the value for an F1?
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure these are not wheel RPM?
    If you only have the engine's RPM, you would have a theoretical maximum acceleration for a given car speed (which will reflect on the RPM's acceleration as well). If the value is greater then there is slip.
    It seems to be in the same area based on the tire data for these Formula SAE tires (figure 8).

4. Jul 19, 2017 #3
    Hey how did your project goes? i am intersted in your progress please let me know how's the result

5. Jul 19, 2017 #4
    Doesn't the slip depend rather heavily on which tyres are on the car and the state or condition of those tyres? In F1 they have to use two different grades of tyre in a race and each grade of tyre will have a different rate of degradation. Does the matrix get modified in any way to account for these variations?

Often for traction control it is only necessary to measure the slip of the driving wheels compared to the front (no 4wd). This is dynamic and takes care of any variations in the tyre, then it is a matter of pulling timing to reduce this differential.

Cheers

6. Jul 19, 2017 #5

JBA

A review of the FIA F1 2017 and 2018 Rules and Regulations will reveal that any type of traction control is specifically forbidden for both this year and 2018. The complete sets of these rules can be downloaded from http://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110. At one time in the past it was allowed but due to much controversy about diminished driver responsibility and some possible safety issues traction control has been banned in F1 since 2008.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted