Formula 1 Traction Control tuning

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of traction control in Formula 1 cars. The method of limiting revs involves providing a matrix of four values of RPM and slip. The best way to tune this type of traction control and the parameters that can influence these values are discussed. It is also mentioned that gear ratios may have an influence on slip risk. The tolerated slip for a Formula 1 car is around 17%, similar to road cars. The conversation also touches upon the use of different types of tires and the ban of traction control in Formula 1 since 2008.
synMehdi
Hello, I'm a mechanical engineering student and I'm working in traction control for Formula 1 cars.
The traction control in the cars is simple, too simple: an engine cut is done when the engine is at a certain RPM and slip value. A matrix of four values of RPM and slip has to be provided to limit the rev.
I have a bunch of question about the tuning:
What is the best way to tune this kind of traction control?
What parameters can influence this values?
As the traction control is not aware of the gear: do gear ratios have any influence? I thought that shorter gearbox induce more acceleration at lower RPMs and thus, more slip risk.
What is the tolerated slip for a formula 1 car?. I know that there is a slip value for peak acceleration and for road cars is about 17%. What is the value for an F1?
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
synMehdi said:
A matrix of four values of RPM and slip has to be provided to limit the rev.
Are you sure these are not wheel RPM?
synMehdi said:
What is the best way to tune this kind of traction control?
What parameters can influence this values?
As the traction control is not aware of the gear: do gear ratios have any influence? I thought that shorter gearbox induce more acceleration at lower RPMs and thus, more slip risk.
If you only have the engine's RPM, you would have a theoretical maximum acceleration for a given car speed (which will reflect on the RPM's acceleration as well). If the value is greater then there is slip.
synMehdi said:
What is the tolerated slip for a formula 1 car?. I know that there is a slip value for peak acceleration and for road cars is about 17%. What is the value for an F1?
It seems to be in the same area based on the tire data for these Formula SAE tires (figure 8).

Hey how did your project goes? i am intersted in your progress please let me know how's the result

Doesn't the slip depend rather heavily on which tyres are on the car and the state or condition of those tyres? In F1 they have to use two different grades of tyre in a race and each grade of tyre will have a different rate of degradation. Does the matrix get modified in any way to account for these variations?

Often for traction control it is only necessary to measure the slip of the driving wheels compared to the front (no 4wd). This is dynamic and takes care of any variations in the tyre, then it is a matter of pulling timing to reduce this differential.

Cheers

A review of the FIA F1 2017 and 2018 Rules and Regulations will reveal that any type of traction control is specifically forbidden for both this year and 2018. The complete sets of these rules can be downloaded from http://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110. At one time in the past it was allowed but due to much controversy about diminished driver responsibility and some possible safety issues traction control has been banned in F1 since 2008.

1. What is Formula 1 Traction Control tuning?

Formula 1 Traction Control tuning is a process of adjusting the electronic system of a Formula 1 car that helps to optimize the car's grip on the track. This is achieved by adjusting the amount of power delivered to the wheels and the timing of when that power is delivered.

2. Why is traction control important in Formula 1?

Traction control is important in Formula 1 because it helps drivers maintain control of their cars, especially in wet or slippery conditions. It also allows them to accelerate more quickly out of corners without losing traction, ultimately improving their lap times.

3. How does traction control work in Formula 1?

In Formula 1, traction control is controlled by a set of sensors that monitor the speed of each wheel and the car's acceleration. The system then adjusts the engine's power output and braking force to optimize traction and prevent wheel spin.

4. What are the benefits of tuning traction control in Formula 1?

Tuning traction control in Formula 1 can provide several benefits, such as improved handling and stability, increased acceleration, and better control in wet or changing track conditions. It can also help reduce tire wear and improve fuel efficiency.

5. Is traction control legal in Formula 1?

Traction control was banned in Formula 1 in 2008, but some teams have found ways to work around the ban. However, the use of any electronic aids to control the car's traction is strictly prohibited and can result in penalties or disqualification.