Formula for shear strength of a pin from yield strength

  • Thread starter Thread starter barvas11
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mechanical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
barvas11
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,
What is a simple formula for calculating a shear strength of pin taking into consideration the yield strength of the material?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula is the easy part. It's tailoring it for your specific problem that's the tricky part.
 
Vadar2012 said:
The formula is the easy part. It's tailoring it for your specific problem that's the tricky part.

I know ;)
 
yield strength of the pin is 355 N/mm2
pin diameter is 80mmm
What is the maximum shear the pin can take?
 
I'll do it for you.

Let's use the distortion energy theory: Ssy = 0.58Sy
where Sy = 355 MPa
Therefore Ssy = 206 MPa
I'm assuming you're after the shear force, since you have the yield and diameter.
So F= SSy*A
F = 206*5026mm^2 = 1e6 N

Assuming single shear. It'll be double this for double shear.

I did this quickly in my head, you should probably check my working.

That is one big pin though...
 
Last edited:
Thanks Vadar2012
I did it the same way and I checked it against shearforces for bolts I found online. It appears to be right.
 
Please note that you could have received a better answer more quickly if you had supplied proper information at the beginning.

It's tailoring it for your specific problem that's the tricky part.

With pins in shear

You also have to consider the strength of the pinned material in relation to the pin material.

If the pin is a safety or protection failure device you may need yet further considerations.