Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation Based on Yield strength and Ultimate strength

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    Hello Gurus,
    I am new to mechanical design calculations.

Since I have came across one interesting fact there are two methods using for finding the shear capacity of the components. Yield Strength and Ultimate strength.
    Shear yeild strength=1/√3* Yield strength
    Ultimate shear strength= .75 of of Ultimate strength
    Up on these shear capcacity calculations are made.

What is the signficance of the using two methods for the design calculations? Either one is enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2
    The first is (the limit of) elastic behaviour and helps you decide what to do at working loads. But it says nothing about safety. The second tells you about safety but nothing about working load behaviour.

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    Pongo,
    Thanks for the reply.

can you be little elaborate?

I assumed that mutliplying the yield and ultimate strength with 0.577 and 0.75 respectively are matters of saftey.

I also believed that considering yield strength is for safty purpose, as it never consider plastic region in the calculation part.

Regards
    S~

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4
    See my post in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=521969
    The .577 is not a safety factor.
    The .75 on the other hand, is probably a safety factor.

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    Shear yield strength:

At the onset of yielding, the magnitude of the shear stress in pure shear is 3^0.5 times lower than the tensile stress in the case of simple tension.

When something fails in yielding, the result is plastic deformation of the part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook