1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula for the velocity of the centripetal force

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    Hi, can anyone please tell me the fomular for the velocity of a centripital force with the radius of 100 cm, with one revolution revolting in 0.98 seconds?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2009 #2
    Re: velocity

Here are the formulas you will need to solve the problem:
    v = rw
    w = 2pi/T

By the way, the "velocity of a centripetal force" does not have much meaning. Force is a vector; it doesn't have velocity. You might as well have asked what the mass of the force was, or the radius of the force. I think you meant to say that you are trying to find the tangential velocity of an object undergoing circular motion due to a centripetal force.

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3

Thanks for you're help, anyway i have another question. What is the formula for centripital force?, our physics teacher gave us a practical to do but he forgot to give us a note on centripital force.

5. Mar 8, 2009 #4

It's F = (mv^2)/r, directed radially inward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook