Formula for working out power produced by petrol being burnt in an engine

In summary, the conversation was about finding the power produced by burning petrol in a car at a steady 60 mph, given its fuel consumption and other related information. The conversation also mentioned the importance of finding the answer independently and not relying on others to provide it.
clifftifer
Iam not looking for the answer, I would just like to pointed in the right direction with the formula which would help me work this out. Its been a number of years since I have had to do this. (AN EXTREMELY MATURE STUDENT) Thank you

If the fuel consumption of a car, traveling at a steady 60 mph, is 20 mpg what is the power produced by the petrol being burnt in the engine? [Assume that the density of petrol is 0.84 kg/l and the heat of combustion of petrol is 47 302 kJ/kg]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi clifftifer! Welcome to PF :smile:

Power is the rate of energy used up or work done in unit time. Can you find this from the given information??

clifftifer said:
Iam not looking for the answer...
And proper PF members wouldn't give it to you, even if you asked politely.

Infinitum said:
Hi clifftifer! Welcome to PF :smile:

Power is the rate of energy used up or work done in unit time. Can you find this from the given information??

I had to throw in a few of other bits of information before I could come up with the answer:

1 watt = 1 joule/second
3.785 liters = 1 gallon
3600 seconds = 1 hour
745.7 watts = 1 hp​

to yield the answer in hp.

To start, my equation looked like:
x watts = 47,302,000 joules/kg * .......​

I ended up with joules/second, and then converted to hp.

Simple plug and chug, as we used to call it. hmmm... Do people still use that phrase; "plug and chug"?

1. How is power produced by petrol being burnt in an engine calculated?

The formula for calculating power produced by petrol being burnt in an engine is Power = (Fuel Consumption x Specific Energy x Efficiency) ÷ Time, where fuel consumption is measured in liters per hour, specific energy is the energy contained in one liter of petrol, efficiency is the engine's efficiency in converting fuel into power, and time is the duration of the engine's operation.

2. What is the specific energy of petrol?

The specific energy of petrol varies depending on the type and quality of the petrol, but on average it is around 34.2 megajoules per liter (MJ/L). This means that one liter of petrol can produce 34.2 megajoules of energy when burnt in an engine.

3. How does the efficiency of an engine affect the power produced by petrol?

The efficiency of an engine is a measure of how well it can convert the energy from burning petrol into mechanical work. A higher efficiency means that more of the energy from the petrol is being used to produce power, resulting in a higher power output. Therefore, a more efficient engine will produce more power from the same amount of petrol compared to a less efficient engine.

4. Does the duration of engine operation affect the power produced by petrol?

Yes, the duration of engine operation is a factor in calculating the power produced by petrol being burnt. The longer the engine runs, the more fuel is consumed and the more power is produced. This is why the formula includes a division by time, as it takes into account the duration of engine operation.

5. Can this formula be applied to all types of engines?

The formula for calculating power produced by petrol being burnt in an engine can be applied to most types of engines, including spark-ignition (gasoline) and compression-ignition (diesel) engines. However, the specific energy and efficiency values may vary depending on the type of engine and its design. It is important to use accurate and relevant values for each variable in the formula for accurate results.