Formulating Differential Equations

In summary: What would you do to put them on a solid mathematical basis?Differential equations relate derivatives not differentials, although sometimes when finding the solution by integration, it helps to convert the derivatives in terms of differentials which are NOT assumed small at this point but later when integrating to obtain a solution they have to be assumed infinitesimally small.Not enought rigor for your mathematical blood - really LOL
Tac-Tics
One thing that's always bothered me is the idea of a taking the derivative of a variable when that variable isn't a function.

For example, the differential of an expression x^2 is 2x dx. But when x is given an a concrete value, let's take x=10, we say that the differential of 10 is 0 (because it's a constant). So, 2x dx = 2(10) d(10) = 20 * 0 = 0. In fact, for any value we pick for x, dx will vanish to 0. Now the reason we can get the right answer is because somewhere under the hood, we're talking about limits and because of that we can get away with dividing 0 by 0. But there's too much hand waving and not enough rigor for my mathematical blood!

What I want to know is... is there's a prettier way to formulate differential equations? What would you do to put them on a solid mathematical basis?

I've been wondering about this for a week or two, and the best idea I had was coming up with an idea that you could "promote" those boring variables to parametrized functions. Then, instead of relating their values (x = y^2+1), you'd relate their values when applied an argument (x(t) = y(t)^2+1). Then, the differential operation would be something analogous to the derivative with respect to the parametrized variable, t... or something like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not enought rigor for your mathematical blood - really LOL

The differential of the independent variable, dx, centered at point x0, has precise definition. It's the following function of x:

dx= x - x0

So you are right, the function dx of x is zero for x=x0 (=10 in your case). The function is linear so it's not zero at any other value of x.

The differential of the dependent variable y, centered at x0, is the following function of x:

dy= y'(x0) dx

These are EXACT equations-definitions. Nothing is assumed small so far.

The smallness enters when one tries to approximate increases in the function with it's differential cause y(x)-y(x0) is only approximately equal to dy. The smaller the dx, the better the approximation. In fact dy only takes into accound the first term in the Taylor expansion of y(x) around x0. It rejects the higher order terms and that's why it's not exactly equal to the increase of the function but close to it. A method to obtain the differential of a function is to expand it around x0, and see the term containing (x-x0), that is the differential dy and from it one can read the value of y'(x0). That makes many people think differentials are small things that don't have precise definition.

Differential equations relate derivatives not differentials, although sometimes when finding the solution by integration, it helps to convert the derivatives in terms of differentials which are NOT assumed small at this point but later when integrating to obtain a solution they have to be assumed infinitesimally small.

Last edited:
smallphi said:
Not enought rigor for your mathematical blood - really LOL
:-)

The differential of the independent variable, dx, centered at point x0, has precise definition. It's the following function of x:

dx= x - x0

You threw in x0 without introducing it anywhere ;-)

Is that supposed to be x0 as in "ecks sub zero?" (in other words, a separate variable?)

Tac-Tics said:
One thing that's always bothered me is the idea of a taking the derivative of a variable when that variable isn't a function.

For example, the differential of an expression x^2 is 2x dx. But when x is given an a concrete value, let's take x=10, we say that the differential of 10 is 0 (because it's a constant). So, 2x dx = 2(10) d(10) = 20 * 0 = 0. In fact, for any value we pick for x, dx will vanish to 0. Now the reason we can get the right answer is because somewhere under the hood, we're talking about limits and because of that we can get away with dividing 0 by 0. But there's too much hand waving and not enough rigor for my mathematical blood!
That would bother me too! Where have you ever seen such at thing? Yes, the derivative of the function x2 is 2x. The value of that differential function, when x= 10 is 2(10)= 20. You are NOT setting x= 10 in the original function and then taking the derivative, you are taking the derivative of the function and then setting x= 10 in the derivative function. And you cannot say that "dx= 0". dx is only defined for functions, not for numbers- and even then is an abstract concept (unless you want to go into "non-standard analysis" and do the enormous work of actually defining "differentials" as part of an extended number system).

What I want to know is... is there's a prettier way to formulate differential equations? What would you do to put them on a solid mathematical basis?
Standard calculus itself, which is not what you wrote here, does a very good job of that. I think you are misunderstanding the basic concept of "derivative" and "differential"

I've been wondering about this for a week or two, and the best idea I had was coming up with an idea that you could "promote" those boring variables to parametrized functions. Then, instead of relating their values (x = y^2+1), you'd relate their values when applied an argument (x(t) = y(t)^2+1). Then, the differential operation would be something analogous to the derivative with respect to the parametrized variable, t... or something like that.

I don't see why you would need to do that.

I will admit I haven't don a whole lot of work in differential equations, so forgive me if I seem a bit clueless.

Let me go through an introductory problem and show you what I mean:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = (x-1)y^2[/tex], where [tex]y(0) = 3[/tex].

Now, the solution is found by separating the x's and y's onto both sides of the equation to get:

[tex]\frac{dy}{y^2} = (x-1)dx[/tex].

This is where my computer-science instincts kick in and tell me something weird is going on.

The derivative is an operation (a function really) which maps real functions to real functions. So if you have a function, y in this case, you can take its derivative, notated as y' or [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]. My issue is with treating dy and dx as individual mathematical objects (instead of treating them together as an awkward notation). What is the nature of dx and dy?

Secondly, it catches my eye that we are being very sloppy with the types of our variables. We have a function y and a real variable x. However, on the right hand side, we multiply a function and a variable together. (And then later, we multiply the result of that by some infinitesimal-but-not-really sort of thing!)

So, let's start off with that much.

EDIT - Note that I got this problem off of an internet site, and I have the solution to it already, being

[tex]y(x) = \frac{6}{-3x^2+6x+2}[/tex]

There's an explanation of why separation of variable is valid for solving DE... except I can't remember the details. It's in my DE text which I read through last semester. There's something about implicit differentiation if I remember correctly. I'll check it when I get back tonight.

I don't see what the big problem is.

[tex]
\frac{1}{y^2}\frac{dy}{dx} = (x-1)
[/tex]

These are two equal functions on both sides of equality. If you integrate them wrt x, the integrals are equal up to integration constant. The integral of x-1 is fine as it is. In the integral of the left side, change the integration variable from x to y, the derivative dy/dx allows you to do that.

When one separates dy/dx into dy and dx on different sides of equality, it's just an intuitive mnemonic. That's how computers compute a numerical solution. The mathematically rigorous way of doing it is what I described above and it has nothing to do with differentials, but with integration.

Last edited:
smallphi said:
I don't see what the big problem is.

[tex]
\frac{1}{y^2}\frac{dy}{dx} = (x-1)
[/tex]

These are two equal functions on both sides of equality.

I think my confusion was just an issue with the notation. Working on the problem a little more, I can see now what is meant by the above equation is this:

[tex]
\frac{1}{y(x)^2}y'(x) = x-1
[/tex]

Writing it like this, y is a function, y(x) (the function y with a real argument x applied to it) is real, y'(x) is similarly real. Everything on both sides is real and typechecks correctly. Then, by taking either side to be a function of x, let's call this function g, we can integrate both sides:

[tex]g(x) = \frac{1}{y(x)^2}y'(x) = x-1[/tex]

[tex]\int g(x) dx = \int \frac{1}{y(x)^2}y'(x)dx = \int (x-1) dx[/tex]

Which we can integrate by parts and solve for y.

After having worked out the problem using explicit notation, I can see why you can get away with all the little notational quirks =-)

I think I've solved my problem here.

Reminds me of the "Freshman Error" (too) often seen on Calculus tests:

Problem: if f(x)= x2, find f'(2).

Answer: f(2)= 4 and the derivative of 4 is 0: f'(2)= 0!

1. What is the purpose of formulating differential equations?

The purpose of formulating differential equations is to mathematically describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change. This is useful in modeling various real-world phenomena such as growth, decay, and motion.

2. How are differential equations different from other types of equations?

Differential equations involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function. This means that the equations describe how a function changes over time or with respect to other variables, rather than just a static relationship between variables.

3. What tools and techniques are used to solve differential equations?

There are various tools and techniques used to solve differential equations, such as separation of variables, integration, and substitution. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method, can also be used to approximate solutions.

4. Can differential equations be used in fields other than mathematics?

Yes, differential equations have applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze systems in these fields and make predictions about their behavior.

5. What are some common types of differential equations?

Some common types of differential equations include ordinary differential equations (ODEs), which involve a single independent variable, and partial differential equations (PDEs), which involve multiple independent variables. Other types include linear and nonlinear differential equations, and first-order and higher-order equations.