Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fortran 90, Euler's method help

1. May 4, 2008 #1

Gold Member

I'm trying to make a program that can approximate a differential equation via the Euler's method.
    Here is my program :
    Program diff
    implicit none

Real :: t_0, x_0, t_f, k_j, h
    Real :: t,x
    Integer :: n,j

Write(*,*)'Chose t_0 and x_0'
    Read(*,*)t_0, x_0
    Write(*,*)'Chose t_f'

Write(*,*)'Chose n'

Do j=1,n

end do

Real Function f(t,x)
    real, intent(in) :: x,t
    end function

end program

Here I am trying to approximate the solutions of the following differential equation : [tex]x'=2x[/tex] and [tex]x(0)=1[/tex] in the interval [0,1], using a step h of 0.1. So in my program, I input t_0=0, X_0=1, t_f=1 and n=10.
    I know where is the problem of my program. It's in the "do" part. And more exactly here I think "k_j=f(t,x)". For example, the first term should be k_1=f(0,1) so it must be equal to 2. But the program doesn't do it. It doesn't understand that f(t,x) should be evaluated in t=0, x=1 for the first term. How can I fix this? I'm thinking about another "do" part, inside of the one I already have... But can't figure it out. Thanks for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi fluidistic,

It looks to me like you never set the variables equal to the initial values. The is, you had the program ask for t_0 and x_0, but you never actually used those values (except for t_0 to calculate h).

Try putting

Code (Text):

before the do loop.
  4. May 4, 2008 #3

Gold Member

Thanks alphysicist! That works great now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?