[FORTRAN] FFT of delta function, issue w/ MKL & Intel compiler

In summary: DftiComputeBackward(My_Desc_Handle,nListIn,FFTB) status=DftiFreeDescriptor(My_Desc_Handle) return end function
avikarto
I am trying to program something using a backwards FFT, and am attempting to feed it a delta function as a test condition since this result is known. However, my results are nonsense compared to what is expected.

It should be the case that if we have $$F(\omega)=\delta(\omega-1.5)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\int f(t)\:e^{-i \omega t}$$ the result would look like $$f(t)=\frac{Cos(1.5 t)-i Sin(1.5)t}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}$$ However, my method returns the same exact thing for the real and imag parts of f(t); these parts oscillate with frequency much greater than the expected 1.5 and are immediately on top of each other when plotted.

Numerically, i tried inputing two types of "delta function" arrays: one that was zero everywhere on the grid except at w=1.5, where it was equal to 1/dw (normalization), and another where each grid point was calculated as in a Gaussian, $$F(\omega)=\frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2\pi}} exp\left(-\frac{(\omega-1.5)^2}{2 \sigma^2}\right),$$ where I let sigma be small for a narrow spike. Both of these input types give the same result. I even tried a much finer grid, but the result was again the same. I am left to believe that the method is somehow flawed, but it took it almost exactly off of Intel's MKL help page with example FFTs (link), using the 1D out-of-place complex-to-complex transform.

My code follows. Any assistance in locating the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fortran:
use MKL_DFTI
    function FFTB(nListIn,nLength)
        integer status,nLength
        type(DFTI_DESCRIPTOR), POINTER :: My_Desc_Handle
        complex*16 nListIn(-nLength:nLength),FFTB(-nLength:nLength)

My_Desc_Handle => null()

status=DftiCreateDescriptor(My_Desc_Handle,DFTI_DOUBLE,DFTI_COMPLEX,1,2*nLength)
        status=DftiSetValue(My_Desc_Handle,DFTI_PLACEMENT,DFTI_NOT_INPLACE)
        status=DftiCommitDescriptor(My_Desc_Handle)
        if (status .ne. 0) then
            if (.not. DftiErrorClass(status,DFTI_NO_ERROR)) then
                print *, 'Error: ', DftiErrorMessage(status)
            endif
        endif
        status=DftiComputeBackward(My_Desc_Handle,nListIn,FFTB)
        status=DftiFreeDescriptor(My_Desc_Handle)
        return
    end function FFTB

Likes Dishsoap
Technology news on Phys.org
Why not test it with variations of sin cos functionw? This will test if it can pick out the frequencies of the function.

jedishrfu said:
Why not test it with variations of sin cos functionw? This will test if it can pick out the frequencies of the function.
Because the function I am using is for the backwards transform - starting with F(w) and ending with f(t).

avikarto said:
I am trying to program something using a backwards FFT, and am attempting to feed it a delta function as a test condition since this result is known. However, my results are nonsense compared to what is expected.

It should be the case that if we have $$F(\omega)=\delta(\omega-1.5)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\int f(t)\:e^{-i \omega t}$$ the result would look like $$f(t)=\frac{Cos(1.5 t)-i Sin(1.5)t}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}$$ However, my method returns the same exact thing for the real and imag parts of f(t); these parts oscillate with frequency much greater than the expected 1.5 and are immediately on top of each other when plotted.

Numerically, i tried inputing two types of "delta function" arrays: one that was zero everywhere on the grid except at w=1.5, where it was equal to 1/dw (normalization), and another where each grid point was calculated as in a Gaussian, $$F(\omega)=\frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2\pi}} exp\left(-\frac{(\omega-1.5)^2}{2 \sigma^2}\right),$$ where I let sigma be small for a narrow spike. Both of these input types give the same result. I even tried a much finer grid, but the result was again the same. I am left to believe that the method is somehow flawed, but it took it almost exactly off of Intel's MKL help page with example FFTs (link), using the 1D out-of-place complex-to-complex transform.

My code follows. Any assistance in locating the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fortran:
use MKL_DFTI
    function FFTB(nListIn,nLength)
        integer status,nLength
        type(DFTI_DESCRIPTOR), POINTER :: My_Desc_Handle

My_Desc_Handle => null()

status=DftiCreateDescriptor(My_Desc_Handle,DFTI_DOUBLE,DFTI_COMPLEX,1,2*nLength)
        status=DftiSetValue(My_Desc_Handle,DFTI_PLACEMENT,DFTI_NOT_INPLACE)
        status=DftiCommitDescriptor(My_Desc_Handle)
        if (status .ne. 0) then
            if (.not. DftiErrorClass(status,DFTI_NO_ERROR)) then
                print *, 'Error: ', DftiErrorMessage(status)
            endif
        endif
        status=DftiFreeDescriptor(My_Desc_Handle)
        return
    end function FFTB
In your code, the identifier FFTB is the name of a function and also the name of a complex*16 array. It has been many years since I've written any Fortran code, so I'm not sure whether the compiler maintains separate namespaces for functions and arrays.

I would change two lines of code, and see if that makes a difference. I would change this:
Fortran:
to this:
Fortran:
complex*16 nListIn(-nLength:nLength), nListOut(-nLength:nLength)
And I would also change this line:
Fortran:
to this:
Fortran:
status=DftiComputeBackward(My_Desc_Handle,nListIn, nListOut)

Also, you need to declare your function properly to inform the compiler that it will return an array. This web page (http://www.phy.ornl.gov/csep/pl/node18.html) shows an example of a function definition in Fortran-90 code that returns an array of reals.

Thanks for the idea, but the way that I have defined the function is valid in FORTRAN. Naming the function the same thing as the output variable allows the final line, "return" to return said variable. Then, when calling the function, one can say nListOut=FFTB(input_stuff). This is not the issue.

You don't show how nListIn is being initialized. Possibly there is a problem with that.

Also, you have what I believe is a typo in post 1 for f(t)
avikarto said:
$$f(t)=\frac{Cos(1.5 t)-i Sin(1.5)t}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}$$
I'm guessing that the argument for the sine function should be 1.5 t, not 1.5, with t multiplying Sin(1.5).

Yep that's a mistype in the OP, it should obviously be Sin(1.5 t).

nListIn is generated as follows:

Fortran:
! for the gaussian
    real*8, parameter :: pi=4.d0*atan(1.d0)
    real*8, parameter :: sig=1.d-5
    real*8, parameter :: const=1.d0/(sig*sqrt(2*pi))

! for the FFT
    real*8, parameter :: nmax=3.14*30, dn=1.0d-3
    integer, parameter :: nLength=nmax/dn
    complex*16 nListIn(-nLength:nLength), nListOut(-nLength:nLength)
    integer j

do j=-nLength,nLength
! true delta function
!       if (dn*j.eq.1.5) then
!          nListIn(j)=(1000.d0,0.0d0)
!       else
!          nListIn(j)=(0.0d0,0.0d0)
!       end if

! narrow gaussian
       nListIn(j)=(const*exp(-(j*dn-1.5d0)**2/(2.d0*sig**2)),0.d0)

end do

nListOut=FFTB(nListIn,nLength)

There's nothing that pops out at me. The only thing I can think of is to consider using a smaller value for sigma. 10-5 isn't really all that small, so you're getting a considerably wider spike than would be the case for the actual delta function. You might try a value of 10-10 or possibly even 10-15. With 64-bit reals, the granularity is down around 2.2 X 10-16 or so.

I tried a smaller sigma, with no change in the results. This is expected, because the actual delta input (effectively a super small sigma gaussian) showed these results as well.

I wonder if there is just something about a discrete delta-type array that makes it transform differently than in the known continuous case. I tried extending the length of the input array to many times larger than shown above to simulate more continuous data, but that didn't help either. I don't know what else it could be at this point.

What is FORTRAN and how is it used in scientific computing?

FORTRAN (short for Formula Translation) is a high-level programming language commonly used in scientific computing. It was developed in the 1950s and is designed specifically for mathematical and scientific calculations. It is known for its efficient handling of floating-point arithmetic and its fast execution speed, making it a popular choice for scientific and engineering applications.

What is an FFT and why is it important in scientific computing?

FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) is an algorithm that computes the discrete Fourier transform of a sequence, which is a mathematical operation used in signal processing and data analysis. It is important in scientific computing because it allows for efficient processing of large amounts of data and is commonly used in applications such as image processing, audio signal processing, and solving differential equations.

What is a delta function and why is it used in the context of FFT?

A delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at a single point, where it has an infinite value. In the context of FFT, it is often used as a test function to evaluate the accuracy and efficiency of the FFT algorithm.

What is the issue with using MKL and the Intel compiler in relation to FORTRAN FFT of delta function?

MKL (Math Kernel Library) is a software library that provides highly optimized, multithreaded mathematical routines for scientific and engineering applications. The Intel compiler is a popular compiler used for FORTRAN programming. The issue with using these two together in relation to FORTRAN FFT of delta function is that there may be compatibility issues or bugs that can affect the accuracy of the FFT results.

How can the issue with MKL and Intel compiler be resolved when dealing with FORTRAN FFT of delta function?

One way to resolve the issue is to update both the MKL library and the Intel compiler to their latest versions, as these updates often include bug fixes and improved compatibility. Another solution is to switch to a different compiler or FFT library that is known to work well with FORTRAN FFT of delta function. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult online forums or seek assistance from experts in the field for specific troubleshooting steps.