Forum Game - Where's That Landmark? Part 2

In summary, Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute. Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute.
Here is a quick one I had on my computer without even thinking about it as being a land mark. That is me in the picture. My wife had the camera, she thinks shooting towards the sun makes her pictures brighter.

9r24jt.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
edward said:
Here is a quick one I had on my computer without even thinking about it as being a land mark. That is me in the picture. My wife had the camera, she thinks shooting towards the sun makes her pictures brighter.

9r24jt.jpg
Shore of the Pacific Ocean!

OmCheeto said:
Shore of the Pacific Ocean!

That is just not really exact enough to meet my stringent standards.

My wife insisted that I was in this picture when she took it.

11axxz9.jpg

It is an official National Recreational Area.

I could u find no evidence m that King Canute p ever crossed q this bridge located u just about a three miles east of the landmark.

x1ajqe.jpg

OK, I like the "tide" connection with the island across the bridge (by which I mean behind the camera), but I don't have time to find another one right now so I'll leave it for others to try.

... and I'm having a bit of difficulty locating the right dune, anyway. They all look rather similar.

Jonathan Scott said:
... and I'm having a bit of difficulty locating the right dune, anyway. They all look rather similar.

Regular Google maps has only one area named @@@@@@ dunes "National Recreation Area"

If you go any further, you'll have to state the answer!

Likes edward
No more ore. Or something.

Likes edward
OK, this is getting silly. As has happened several times, it suddenly went from being nearly impossible to having too many clues. It's the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. The bridge is over the Umpqua River (of which the letters "Umpqua" are scattered rather weirdly through the clue, although I didn't understand why until after I found the bridge) and goes to Bolon Island Tideways State Park.

Jonathan Scott said:
OK, this is getting silly. As has happened several times, it suddenly went from being nearly impossible to having too many clues. It's the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. The bridge is over the Umpqua River (of which the letters "Umpqua" are scattered rather weirdly through the clue, although I didn't understand why until after I found the bridge) and goes to Bolon Island Tideways State Park.
Being a local, I immediately recognized the Umpqua name, and found the landmark just before midnight on Tuesday. But being very tired, I decided to go to bed, instead of answering.

ps. I still want to know what edward's wife refers to him as. A Banshee, perhaps? :D

640px-Banshee_Hill_Dune.jpg

Banshee Hill is the highest dune in http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Oregon_Dunes_National_Recreation_Area&action=edit&redlink=1 at 500 feet elevation.
500 feet, is actually, a lot. Imagine a 50 story building.

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
I could u find no evidence m that King Canute p ever crossed q this bridge located u just about a three miles east of the landmark.

x1ajqe.jpg
The hidden word is Umpqua, a river on the Oregon coast that flows to the Pacific. Oregon Dunes NRA

Jonathan Scott said:
I just didn't want people to become discouraged so I gave everything except the coordinates. .)

This is the correct answer of course.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
The hidden word is Umpqua, a river on the Oregon coast that flows to the Pacific. Oregon Dunes NRA

That is it Mark44. Unfortunately to win the $30,000 prize money you must be the first to post the name of the landmark. Stick around and try again.

Who is up? It was OmCheeto's turn but he was too busy hosing off his driveway before it rained , so I posted a quick one and Jonathon Scott found the landmark.

edward said:
I just didn't want people to become discouraged so I gave everything

Wait at least half a day (better: a day) between hints. Otherwise you post everything you can between the moments some of us are able to visit the thread.

OK, new one, shouldn't be difficult:

s45fv8.jpg

Looks like OmCheeto's top-secret, hydroponic "grow" location of genetically altered brocolli. You even included the backup "rain dance" setup Om planned ahead for times of drought! (Can't say any more, lest I place my life in danger...)

This really shouldn't be difficult; I tried a Google search on one obvious word and only had to look at a couple of Wikipedia pages to find this location.

Jonathan Scott said:
This really shouldn't be difficult; I tried a Google search on one obvious word and only had to look at a couple of Wikipedia pages to find this location.

Well, I'm assuming "labyrinth" was the word, and "Wikipedia" was a good clue.
I usually slog through tens of thousands of Google images to find landmarks.

The fact that it looked like the one from Knossos did not seem to help at all.

135px-Knossos_silver_coin_400bc.jpg

Silver coin from Knossos representing the labyrinth, 400 BC.

The keywords apparently were: england garden labyrinth
Which brought up http://www.labyrinthos.net/turflabuk.html , where I recognized the curves immediately.

Anyways, after only an hour, the landmark appears to be The Winchester Mizmaze at St Catherine's Hill.
coordinates: 51.045662, -1.311743

ps. "broccoli" & "labyrinth" did not help at all...:mad:

[edit]Just found this:

p1390454-large.thumbnail.JPG

"Sheep worrying"? :D

Yes, that's our local mizmaze. The picture was from Bing birds-eye view. I went to school at Winchester, and we could walk up the hill from there. There's a great view of the whole grounds of the college and most of Winchester, and I've been familiar with that spot for about 45 years. My children have always had great fun walking round the mizmaze whenever we visit the hill. There used to be hundreds of wild rabbits on the hill, but we now only see them occasionally, along with wild deer and lots of butterflies.

I had assumed the obvious word (even if less technically correct) was "maze" which would then take you to "labyrinth" and hence to the "mizmazes".

OK, your turn again.

Jonathan Scott said:
Yes, that's our local mizmaze. The picture was from Bing birds-eye view. I went to school at Winchester, and we could walk up the hill from there. There's a great view of the whole grounds of the college and most of Winchester, and I've been familiar with that spot for about 45 years. My children have always had great fun walking round the mizmaze whenever we visit the hill. There used to be hundreds of wild rabbits on the hill, but we now only see them occasionally, along with wild deer and lots of butterflies.

I had assumed the obvious word (even if less technically correct) was "maze" which would then take you to "labyrinth" and hence to the "mizmazes".

OK, your turn again.

Yay!

Sometimes I think we should start another game called: "Where's the landmark in Om's brain that he saw 300 webpages back but can't remember the name".
I saw something yesterday that was very magical. A hill, with a spiraling trail to the top...

Anyways, I can't find it now.
Here's the next one.

pf.wtlm.2014.10.16.1106.jpg

This digging through my parents negatives is very much like this game. It took me two hours to positively identify this landmark. From the associate negatives on the roll, my father was apparently buying a car this day. By this year, ≈1954, he had apparently already transferred from the Army to the Air Force, to become a jet engine mechanic.

ps. Before we get too far along, I'd like to thank you for bringing up Bosham. That was very interesting about the plague:
http://www.bosham.org/chichester/about-bosham-early-history-c-3_45.html
In 1664 the Great Plague was sweeping through the country, when the plague reached nearby Chichester the citizens shut the City gates and sealed themselves in, in an attempt to stop the plague from spreading to people outside the City. The fishermen of Bosham took it upon themselves to help as best they could and left food outside the city gates, this continued until the plague had passed. In recognition of this, the fishermen were allowed to sell their fish in the market without having to pay a fee.

As I believe I mentioned somewhere before, one of my ancestors moved from Chichester to the Colonies around 1649. I'll have to go visit someday, and thank them for taking care of the rest of the family. :)

OmCheeto said:
ps. "broccoli" & "labyrinth" did not help at all...:mad:

I was expecting you to recognize differences between helping and "poking the bear".

Oh! I just discovered that it's a National Historic Landmark, and is also a quantum landmark, as it's both where I thought it was, and, in India?

per wiki; "A National Historic Landmark (NHL) is a building, site, structure, or object that is officially recognized by the United States government for its national-level historical significance. Out of more than 85,000 places on the National Register of Historic Places, only about 2,500 are NHLs."

You've done it again - too many clues! I just speculatively typed in three words in Google based on your mention of "India" (which I might have guessed from the appearance anyway) and the context of the picture and got pages of hits on the exact location, and that was without even using the National Historic Landmark clue.

I don't have any further ideas for now, so I'll leave it to see if anyone else is interested.

Jonathan Scott said:
You've done it again - too many clues! I just speculatively typed in three words in Google based on your mention of "India" (which I might have guessed from the appearance anyway) and the context of the picture and got pages of hits on the exact location, and that was without even using the National Historic Landmark clue.

I don't have any further ideas for now, so I'll leave it to see if anyone else is interested.

Unfortunately my wife fell and broke her ankle so I have been quite busy since I brought her home from the hospital Saturday afternoon.

I tried a quick Google search with a few speculative words and all I came up with was a taco stand and the Seattle Space Needle. Air force 1954 hmm.

Two of the words in your last sentence were two of those which I used. The other one was India-related.

I've spent quite a long time trying to think up another landmark so that I can answer the previous one without hanging the thread, but it seems that the thread has hung anyway, so I'll answer it but I hope someone else can find another landmark.

My first search words were "air force" based on the context and "taj" (as in Taj Mahal) based on the appearance. The result was pages of hits on "Randolph Air Force Base", near San Antonio, Texas.

I don't have any ideas for a further landmark at the moment, so if anyone else wants a go please feel free.

Jonathan Scott said:
I've spent quite a long time trying to think up another landmark so that I can answer the previous one without hanging the thread, but it seems that the thread has hung anyway, so I'll answer it but I hope someone else can find another landmark.

My first search words were "air force" based on the context and "taj" (as in Taj Mahal) based on the appearance. The result was pages of hits on "Randolph Air Force Base", near San Antonio, Texas.

I don't have any ideas for a further landmark at the moment, so if anyone else wants a go please feel free.
As you may have guessed, I don't have any new landmarks either.
But after some googling, as I've already forgotten what the landmark was, you are correct.

If anyone has a new landmark, be our guest.

ps. Where are Andre and Fuzzyfelt? They always had some grand ones. :)

I am in terrible pain. I kicked myself 37 times for missing Randolph AFB. In 1962 I went through basic training at Lackland AFB just about 20 miles way. I looked through pictures of Lackland AFB thinking that I might see a picture of myself. I set a record in basic training for having a training instructor yell; "We don't need no god dammed independent thinkers in the military." in my face. "Sir yes sir you snarly simple minded bastard" I never got to say that.

I had decided that the USA would never build an air traffic control tower with such poor peripheral visibility so I gave up on the landmark. The only air base we had with a building that might have looked like that was in Turkey.

Scroll down a bit and see the old and new towers. Now I see that they must have stood on the outside and counted boll weevils.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randolph_Air_Force_Base

Here is a new one. It may be easily recognized by the well travelled. For others it is a horse of a different color.

o6eh4j.jpg

Although the front of the building is rounded the rear is more squared off.

2a5fxbd.jpg

The buildings in the pictures are at the location from which we will travel a few miles to the actual landmark. I'll start with a rather incomplete map. ( I Hope)

xodt74.jpg

OK, I got it. I could have got it without any text in that last image, because a visible advertisement narrowed it down to a specific region, and the mountains suggested which part of that region to investigate more closely. I found the first image which was originally very blue.

But I won't say the answer yet (a) because I still don't have another landmark and (b) to give others a chance.