1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forward bias in a silicon p-n junction diode

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The forward bias current I in the diode described (silicon p-n junction) varies as a function of the voltage V and temperature T described by the formula I = I_s*|e^[(|e|*V]/[n*k_b*T]) - 1| where |e| is the fundamental charge, k_b is the Boltzmann constant, I_s is the reverse saturation current. n is the ideality factor. For all intents and purposes we will assume that n = 1.

Also, I_s is related to temperature with I_s = A*T^3 * e^(-E_g/[n*k_b*T]), A and E_g are constant.

The questions: (1) Under forward bias conditions, the exponent |e|V/nk_bT >> 1. Why is this so? (2) And why does the current I vary markedly with the voltage V and the temperature T?

2. Relevant equations

--

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess is that for (1), unless V-T ratio is very very small (10^-5), the exponent will turn out magnitudes higher than 1, since |e|/nk_b ~ 11594. The question is in relation to an experiment in which the values of T vary from 0K - 300K, and the smallest value of V is 0.4V. The smallest V-T ratio would then be on order 10^-3, which when multiplied by the exponent, still gives a value of 15.

As for (2), I'm not quite sure what it's asking. Obviously increasing the voltage would increase the current exponentially, but I think they want the underlying priciples as to why it's exponential rather than not. Similarly for T, since it has a cubed term in I_s, it would produce a great variance in I.

I apologise for poor equation formatting, I'm not too familiar with latex.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This ratio has units V/K - do not ignore units, it will lead to many problems.
    For T<=300K, kbT is of the order of 1/40 eV or less, which directly gives an exponent larger than 1 for a voltage of more than 25mV.

Exponential functions usually dominate over polynomials (like T^3).
    The exponent is the ratio of electric energy of an electron to its thermal energy (up to a prefactor).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted