Fossil Digging: 400-500 Million Yr Old Kansas Fossils

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Messages
24,114
Reaction score
3,277
I thought it might be fun to have a thread to show our fossils. Everyone dig up your fossil picks. I found this rock this morning. The fossils range from 400-500 million years old. I'll post more as I dig my pictures out.

I'm posting the kansas fossil page for what's on this rock (from the kansas seabed during the Pensyvanian to Permium period.

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Extension/KSfossils.html

If you enlarge this you should be able to identify quite a few, too bad the outside fossils are so broken, my neighbor came out to see why I was sitting in the ravine, and asked me if I was going to break it open and see what's inside. The rock is 5' by 3' and solid fossils all around.

019cropped.jpg
 
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Nice find Evo

29dxzkh.jpg


Corner of the living of a friend of mine, behind the couch. Fossil remains of woolly mammoths (Mammuthus primigenius). Predominantly found in the North Sea by flat fish trawlers. These remains are from a fauna that date roughly between 40,000 and 28,000 carbon dating years ago. Several lower jaws (mandibles) can be seen on the floor with the molars still attached.
 
The leaf was found along a river bed in another area near my old house, much younger than the other fossils.

brachipodsfernleaf.jpg
 
Andre said:
Nice find Evo

29dxzkh.jpg


Corner of the living of a friend of mine, behind the couch. Fossil remains of woolly mammoths (Mammuthus primigenius). Predominantly found in the North Sea by flat fish trawlers. These remains are from a fauna that date roughly between 40,000 and 28,000 carbon dating years ago. Several lower jaws (mandibles) can be seen on the floor with the molars still attached.
Awesome! Much more gratifying than tiny sea creatures! West of here we might find some dinosaurs. Here it's just ancient sea beds. :( But I still enjoy it, and they're in my yard.

I know matthyaouw has some neat fossils too.