Fossil Digging: 400-500 Million Yr Old Kansas Fossils

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, Evo found a rock with lots of fossils. He found a jawbone and teeth from a woolly mammoth. He also found a leaf and a rock from different areas that have fossils from different periods of time.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I thought it might be fun to have a thread to show our fossils. Everyone dig up your fossil picks. I found this rock this morning. The fossils range from 400-500 million years old. I'll post more as I dig my pictures out.

I'm posting the kansas fossil page for what's on this rock (from the kansas seabed during the Pensyvanian to Permium period.

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Extension/KSfossils.html

If you enlarge this you should be able to identify quite a few, too bad the outside fossils are so broken, my neighbor came out to see why I was sitting in the ravine, and asked me if I was going to break it open and see what's inside. The rock is 5' by 3' and solid fossils all around.

019cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice find Evo

29dxzkh.jpg

Corner of the living of a friend of mine, behind the couch. Fossil remains of woolly mammoths (Mammuthus primigenius). Predominantly found in the North Sea by flat fish trawlers. These remains are from a fauna that date roughly between 40,000 and 28,000 carbon dating years ago. Several lower jaws (mandibles) can be seen on the floor with the molars still attached.

The leaf was found along a river bed in another area near my old house, much younger than the other fossils.

brachipodsfernleaf.jpg

Andre said:
Nice find Evo

29dxzkh.jpg

Corner of the living of a friend of mine, behind the couch. Fossil remains of woolly mammoths (Mammuthus primigenius). Predominantly found in the North Sea by flat fish trawlers. These remains are from a fauna that date roughly between 40,000 and 28,000 carbon dating years ago. Several lower jaws (mandibles) can be seen on the floor with the molars still attached.
Awesome! Much more gratifying than tiny sea creatures! West of here we might find some dinosaurs. Here it's just ancient sea beds. :( But I still enjoy it, and they're in my yard.

I know matthyaouw has some neat fossils too.

I am always excited to see people taking an interest in fossils and the history of our planet. It is truly amazing to think that these fossils are from the Kansas seabed dating back 400-500 million years ago. These fossils provide us with valuable information about the past and the evolution of different species.

I would like to remind everyone that when digging for fossils, it is important to do so responsibly and ethically. Fossil collecting should only be done with permission from the landowner and in areas where it is legal to do so. It is also important to properly document and preserve any fossils found.

I would also like to point out that the website provided is a great resource for identifying fossils found in Kansas. It is always helpful to have a guide when identifying fossils, as it can be a challenging task.

Thank you for sharing your findings and I look forward to seeing more of your discoveries. Let's continue to explore and learn about our planet's past through the study of fossils.

What is the significance of fossil digging in Kansas?

The state of Kansas is known for its rich geological history and abundance of fossils. The fossils found in Kansas, particularly those dating back 400-500 million years, provide valuable information about the Earth's ancient ecosystems and the evolution of various species.

How do scientists determine the age of fossils?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of fossils, including radiometric dating, which measures the decay of radioactive elements within the fossil, and relative dating, which compares the position of the fossil in relation to other rock layers.

What types of fossils can be found in Kansas?

Kansas is home to a wide range of fossils, including marine invertebrates, fish, plants, and even dinosaurs. The state's unique geology and climate have preserved these fossils over millions of years, making it a prime location for fossil digging.

What tools are needed for fossil digging?

Some essential tools for fossil digging include a rock hammer, chisel, brush, and trowel. These tools allow scientists to carefully excavate and remove fossils from the surrounding rock layers without damaging them.

What can we learn from studying 400-500 million year old fossils?

Studying fossils from this time period can provide insights into the Earth's ancient climate, the evolution of various species, and the geological events that shaped our planet. It also allows scientists to make connections between past and present species and understand the impact of environmental changes on living organisms.