Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Found an interesting ''iq'' test online

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    its from mensas website so it cant be too bad. i was just curious how you guys would do. i made sure to keep my time down to 30 minutes (although i did it in 32 minutes).

i got a 20/30 on it which apparently is good enough to pass the real test...
    just thought id share it with you guys, since it was pretty fun .

"your score was 20 out of 30.that is a very good score.---- you would have a good chance of passing the MENSA tests."

v
    http://www.mensa.org/workout2.php

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2
    There's too many anagram-like questions on it. I'm horrible at those.

4. Dec 1, 2009 #3
    I thought that was the point of discovering who is brilliant and who not. Obviously, if you can't sort out anagrams then you can't possibly be all that smerter. :wink:

5. Dec 1, 2009 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That was the most enjoyable mini iq test thing I've taken. I got 28.

6. Dec 1, 2009 #5
    I'm not dumb just because I can't do anagrams.

I'm dumb for other reasons.
    That's because you did well. You tend to enjoy things you're good at.
    I did awful when I took that test, so it wasn't very enjoyable. I feel I needed a little more time. If they gave me 45 minutes to do it, I think I could have done a lot better.

I've taken a few IQ tests and I do better and better on them the more I take. The first few times, I didn't do well. Once you get the hang of it, you can improve your score; which defeats the purpose of an IQ test to begin with, which is why I don't put much stock in them. And no, I'm not just saying that because I don't have a high IQ. I would say the same thing if I had an IQ of 150. I'm sure I would. Probably.

7. Dec 1, 2009 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not really. It was enjoyable because, unlike most other IQ tests I've seen which tend to rely on non-verbal reasoning, there was a fair share of verbal reasoning in this one. That's why I said it was the most enjoyable. I think I've probably got somewhat equal scores on most IQ tests I've taken.

8. Dec 1, 2009 #7
    thats why even if i could pass the mensa test i wouldnt want to join. id be the dumbest one hahahah.t
    you;re saying cristo only enjoyed the iq test because he did well, and your ill will towards the iq test has nothing to do with how badly you scored. yet you're saying you probably would still be against iq tests even if your iq was 150? doesnt make to much sense inmy opinions.
    also if you're on this forum im pretty sure you did decent. iq tests arent a good test for someone wanting to major in something BS like music or psych or english, but for someone who wants a logical major like physics iq tests are a good indicator of how skilled you'd probably be in physics. and im assuming you're ok if you're on this forum.
    i had no idea what that scrambled word was supposed to be. (nott he coiled word that was easy)

i got kind of pissed off when i saw thaqt for the question about how old jane was, i put 16 (her age in 4 years from now.) i lose sight of he goal of the question. then when i saw the answer im like, she is 16!!! but then i realized they want the current age,

9. Dec 1, 2009 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Absurdalny test - za słabo znam angielski, żeby uzyskać sensowny wynik :tongue:

10. Dec 1, 2009 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I tied cristo. Missed the two word unscramble problems.

11. Dec 1, 2009 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Though, I agree, anagrams really aren't much of a measure of IQ. (I haven't tried the test yet.) Some find them fun, some not so much.

12. Dec 1, 2009 #11
    I've done well on some IQ tests, but I still believed IQ tests are basically just a game you get better at with practice.
    Which questions on IQ tests do you think would indicate you could be good at a physics? Some have nothing to do with physics, like the anagram questions.

13. Dec 1, 2009 #12
    This isn't an IQ test, it's been around for awhile. I got 29 on it I was going to write the real MENSA test but I don't know how to go about doing this. lol.

My sister who has a learning 'disability' in english scored 23 surprisingly, she's very good at math.

14. Dec 1, 2009 #13

Obviously you missed all of my way spiffy neato cool emphasis replete with italics and whatnot plus! a misspelling to show you that...

okay I forgot what my point was.

15. Dec 1, 2009 #14
    17 :( I don't think I was in the right mind state when I did it tho and I tryed to do it as fast as I could so lots of guessing.

16. Dec 1, 2009 #15
    I got 23 but there is no way I'd get into MENSA lol. I've done quite a few online IQ tests and have come out with results up to 154! My IQ is probably quite close to 100. Am I right in think that you have to pay to sit a real IQ test with MENSA, if that is the case then most people probably get at least 20/30.

Is anyone a member? What do you do at MENSA meetings, sit around and discuss how superior you are?

17. Dec 1, 2009 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*yawn* I have more important things to do, skipped the last bit but still got 20 correct.

18. Dec 1, 2009 #17
    I caught it. My response was a little more subtle.
    I'd like to join so that I can say I'm smart without having done anything besides take a test to "prove it".

19. Dec 1, 2009 #18

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I remember doing this test looooong ago. I distinctly remember the first question, which I got right but for the wrong reason. I also remember question #9, which I did by drawing a scale diagram because I hadn't yet learned the Pythagorean theorem. This was probably in grade 5.

20. Dec 1, 2009 #19

drizzle

Gold Member

Aha, so your English is poor. :biggrin:

21. Dec 1, 2009 #20
    Hahaha don't you love when you do the work wrong yet still get the right answer? Too bad this didn't work in highschool :sadface: (The work was worth the most amount of marks lol)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook