Found some interesting grad programs

In summary, the speaker is considering graduate school, specifically an engineering program at the University of Maryland. They are debating between a Master of Engineering and Public Policy (MEPP) and a Master of Sustainable Energy Engineering (MSEE), both of which have the same tuition rate. The MSEE is completely online, while the MEPP is not. The speaker is unsure about the utility of an online degree and is seeking advice on other similar programs.
Shackleford
As some of you may know, I'll graduate next Spring with a B.S. Mathematics and Physics minor. From my perspective, I wanted to gain a broad and fundamental technical education in undergrad. I view grad school as career training. Applied math is an option at my university. It would be the easiest route logistically. I kind of want something not as technical/hard for graduate school. I know that's backwards. However, I found two interesting engineering programs at University of Maryland: Master of Engineering and Public Policy and Master of Sustainable Energy Engineering. The MSEE is completely online. The MEPP is not. But, the tuition rate is the same for both: ~$880/hour. That's a lot of money. The MSEE would be cheaper, but I like the MEPP. I think I would enjoy consulting, but I could do that with either of the degrees.

What do you guys think of the utility of these degrees, particularly the MEPP? Move to Maryland and do the MEPP or stay here and do the MSEE online? I like to look at all my options.

http://mepp.umd.edu/students/degree-req.html

http://www.enpm.umd.edu/grad/sustainable-energy/requirements.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's nice. Did you have a question?

Shackleford said:
As some of you may know, I'll graduate next Spring with a B.S. Mathematics and Physics minor. From my perspective, I wanted to gain a broad and fundamental technical education in undergrad. I view grad school as career training. Applied math is an option at my university. It would be the easiest route logistically. I kind of want something not as technical/hard for graduate school. I know that's backwards. However, I found two interesting engineering programs at University of Maryland: Master of Engineering and Public Policy and Master of Sustainable Energy Engineering. The MSEE is completely online. The MEPP is not. But, the tuition rate is the same for both: ~$880/hour. That's a lot of money. The MSEE would be cheaper, but I like the MEPP. I think I would enjoy consulting, but I could do that with either of the degrees.

http://mepp.umd.edu/students/degree-req.html

http://www.enpm.umd.edu/grad/sustainable-energy/requirements.html

Last edited by a moderator:
fss said:
That's nice. Did you have a question?

Oops. Sorry. I'll update it.

I would not encourage going for an online master degree.
Graduate education is not only about the lectures but rather, the whole experience of being at the university. Being at the university might also allow you to work in one of the labs as a part-timer or so.
Some courses might require team work or collaboration, I am not sure how reliable this is when it comes to an online course.
Plus whenever you need a recommendation letter for phd/industry then if the prof had met/saw you in person a few times would be a 1000 times better than if he/she didn't during the lectures.

physiker_192 said:
Graduate education is not only about the lectures but rather, the whole experience of being at the university. Being at the university might also allow you to work in one of the labs as a part-timer or so.
Some courses might require team work or collaboration, I am not sure how reliable this is when it comes to an online course.
Plus whenever you need a recommendation letter for phd/industry then if the prof had met/saw you in person a few times would be a 1000 times better than if he/she didn't during the lectures.

Yeah, I don't really want to do an online degree.

physiker_192 said:

Of course, it will not result as same as regular study. The experiences that you earns from the university exactly contributes much values that online degree can't.

Anyone know of any similar programs to the MEPP? Maybe a math/science/physics and public policy master program?

1. What types of graduate programs are available for scientists?

There are a variety of graduate programs available for scientists, including Master's and PhD programs in fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science. There are also interdisciplinary programs, such as neuroscience or bioinformatics, that combine multiple scientific disciplines.

2. How do I know which grad program is the best fit for me?

It's important to research and consider various factors when choosing a graduate program, such as the program's curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and location. You can also reach out to current students or alumni for their insights and experiences.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in science?

A graduate degree in science can open up many opportunities for career advancement and higher salaries. It also allows for in-depth study and research in a specific area of interest, and can provide valuable skills and knowledge for a variety of industries.

4. Are there any financial aid options available for graduate programs in science?

Many graduate programs offer financial aid, such as scholarships, grants, and assistantships. It's important to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they may have specific deadlines and requirements.

5. Can I work while pursuing a graduate program in science?

It depends on the program and your personal schedule. Some graduate programs may have a heavy workload and require full-time dedication, while others may offer part-time or online options that allow for more flexibility. It's important to consider your own time management skills and discuss with the program's advisors before making a decision.