1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are some interesting computational fields in Physics?

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    So I'm thinking that for grad school I might like to get into some computational simulations and modeling. The reason for this is I'm not sure if I'll want to stay in Physics after grad school and being good with computers and modeling and such I think will give me a lot of options outside of Physics such as in finance. What are some interesting computational fields within Physics? What schools are good in these fields?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2
    Fluid mechanics maybe?

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    There's astrophysics which I believe to be highly computational.

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4

eri

The University of Maryland has a whole grad program in computational science. A friend of mine got in with a physics degree and is doing simulations for the LHC in computational particle physics. There's also a lot of modeling in simulations in most fields - I do a lot in observational cosmology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook