Grad programs for computational science

In summary, the individual graduated with BS degrees in physics and applied math, and took courses in heat transfer and fluid mechanics. They were recently terminated from an aerospace company due to a clearance issue, but were not particularly disappointed as they did not see themselves working there long-term. They now have the options of looking for another engineering job or applying for grad schools, with a stronger inclination towards getting a PhD. They are interested in computational simulations of physical systems and are considering programs in materials engineering, mechanical/aerospace engineering, and applied/computational math and science. They also mention their previous plans to do a part-time MS in ME/AE while working, but now will not be attending that program. The conversation also touches on the topic of security
creepypasta13
I graduated last year with BS degrees in physics and applied math. I also took heat transfer and fluid mechanics courses which helped me land a job at an aerospace company before getting terminated recently due to a clearance issue. I'm not too disappointed with that as I didn't see myself working there long-term. The work seemed dull and I missed learning new things in school and working on research projects. I could continue looking for another engineering job or just apply for grad schools. I'm leaning towards getting a phD much more now than in the past. The problem is I have no idea where to apply as i have a broad range of interests but nothing in passion

Based on my undergrad research experiences, I'm certain that i want to avoid experimental work and instead work on computational simulations of physical systems. I am certain that I want to do modeling/simulation research for my career, whether it be in academia or industry.

The programs I'm considering are:
1. materials engineering - Two of my undergrad research projects were related to materials modeling, which were pretty interesting. I thought quantum mech was ok, but I wasn't too excited by it. Also, I've read some interesting articles related to lasers in online magazines. I also never got to take solid-state physics but it seems interesting. However, the few job listings I've seen that look for this background do work I'm not interested in, such as working with solar cells, semiconductors and electronics, etc

2. mechanical/aerospace - I liked the theory covered in heat transfer, such as the heat equation, but didn't like using it to solve electronics cooling problems. Also, the aerospace industry may not be for me as evidenced by my clearance denial. But I would love to work on weapons, missiles, rockets, etc. I'm not interested at all in the other fields that MEs go into. CFD also looks interesting but I haven't taken an advanced fluids class

3. applied math/ computational math and science - I liked most of my math classes especially linear algebra, numerical analysis, real analysis, math modeling, ODEs, and PDEs. But I didn't really like Fourier analysis and abstract algebra for being too abstract. I don't think I would like programs that require a lot of CS. I would like to use applied math for physical problems, so I thought materials modeling or CFD would be good fits for me

can anyone help me with this?

On a side note, I had planned on doing my MS in ME/AE part-time while having my company pay for it until I suddenly lost my job. Now, I probably won't attend that MS program.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Denial of security clearance is a big concern for your career planning if you want to work in aerospace/defense. If you can't get it the first time, it almost means you won't get it ever. The same issue is also somewhat a problem if you want to do research work in national lab or government. So, make sure you choose something you can find jobs don't need clearance.

2. In case you don't know it yet, US DOE support computational science through a fellowship program CSGF. The website is http://www.krellinst.org/csgf/. Take a look and you will find a lot more areas that might inspire you.

chingkui said:
1. Denial of security clearance is a big concern for your career planning if you want to work in aerospace/defense. If you can't get it the first time, it almost means you won't get it ever. The same issue is also somewhat a problem if you want to do research work in national lab or government. So, make sure you choose something you can find jobs don't need clearance.

I should've been more specific. My INTERIM was denied. Thus, my company let me go, so there was no investigation to see if I would get the final secret clearance. I heard a lot of people get their interim denied, but still get granted the final clearance. Does that still mean I will have a very hard time getting hired in the aerospace industry?

creepypasta13 said:
CFD also looks interesting but I haven't taken an advanced fluids class

I would say that CFD suits your background very much. All you need is to read about the Navier-Stokes equations, the mathematical algorithms used to discretize it and solve it, and the physical models used to model turbulence. For your mathematical background, this doesn't seem a problem. you would also need to learn some commercial CFD codes, like Ansys Fluent or CFX.

I would personally advise you to take this route. IMO, the CFD business is almost saturated by mechanical engineers, and your background in mathematics would probably help you excel in this field.

HossamCFD said:
I would say that CFD suits your background very much. All you need is to read about the Navier-Stokes equations, the mathematical algorithms used to discretize it and solve it, and the physical models used to model turbulence. For your mathematical background, this doesn't seem a problem. you would also need to learn some commercial CFD codes, like Ansys Fluent or CFX.

I would personally advise you to take this route. IMO, the CFD business is almost saturated by mechanical engineers, and your background in mathematics would probably help you excel in this field.

thanks for your suggestion. I'm most interested in its applications to the aerospace/defense industry. But not only is it cyclical, but if that denial of my interim is a sign of things to come, then I can't even work in that industry. I'm not interested in using CFD for automobiles, environment forecasting, etc.

Why do you suggest i pursue CFD instead of something else?

creepypasta13 said:
Why do you suggest i pursue CFD instead of something else?

well, if you're aiming to get a Ph.D. CFD is a field that suits your background, has a lot of academic/industrial prospects. It's not like CFD is used in aerospace and automobiles industry only, almost every research that deals with fluid flow is heavily involved in CFD. Thus, having a Ph.D in it will open a lot of doors.

Anyway, if you're not that interested in it, then it will be a bad idea to spend 4 or 5 years studying it to earn your Ph.D. you'd better search for something you have a firm passion about.

HossamCFD said:
well, if you're aiming to get a Ph.D. CFD is a field that suits your background, has a lot of academic/industrial prospects. It's not like CFD is used in aerospace and automobiles industry only, almost every research that deals with fluid flow is heavily involved in CFD. Thus, having a Ph.D in it will open a lot of doors.

Anyway, if you're not that interested in it, then it will be a bad idea to spend 4 or 5 years studying it to earn your Ph.D. you'd better search for something you have a firm passion about.

From what I've seen of the applications of CFD, the only one that interests me is its application to aerospace. The problem is I can't find something I have a firm passion for

would it be a good idea to apply to computational math/science/physics programs, so that way while studying there I can get a better idea if I like to simulations in CFD or materials, or doing something else such as numerical analysis and PDEs? How do I find out which ones are the best fits for me? Should I ask one of the previous professors I worked for for advice?

I don't know much about the interim clearance process, I guess the important question is whether you find out why you are denied, and whether that reason is going to be a issue if you need to get another one again. I personally have not seen anyone who didn't get interim, but I bet past denial will definitely come up as a question when they investigate your background.

Also, don't be fixated on CFD yet, computational science is a lot bigger than that. If you just jump in without a full consideration, you might find 5 years of graduate school is really long and not enjoyable. Go to the link I sent you to see what are the projects people have been doing, and follow the links to the school/program they work in.

After looking at that link in more detail and looking at all the profiles, I can see that not many students were in applied or computational math programs, other than for doing projects related to biology. So most of the ones I found interesting were from engineering programs, in particular mechanical/aerospace/nuclear

What is computational science?

Computational science is a multidisciplinary field that uses computer simulations, mathematical models, and algorithms to solve complex scientific problems and analyze large datasets.

What are some common application areas for computational science?

Some common application areas for computational science include climate and weather modeling, drug design and discovery, financial modeling, and materials science.

What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate program in computational science?

A graduate program in computational science can provide students with advanced skills in computer programming, data analysis, and problem-solving, which are highly sought after in various industries. It also offers the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects and collaborate with experts in different fields.

What are the prerequisites for a graduate program in computational science?

The specific prerequisites may vary depending on the institution, but typically, a strong background in mathematics, computer science, and physics is necessary. Some programs may also require proficiency in a programming language such as Python or C++.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of computational science programs?

Graduates of computational science programs can pursue a variety of careers, such as data scientists, software engineers, research scientists, and consultants in industries such as healthcare, finance, and technology. They may also choose to continue their education and pursue a PhD in a related field.