Four series convergence claims to prove or disprove

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
19 replies · 3K views
peripatein
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am trying to prove/disprove the following claims:

(1) There exists a sequence a_n of positive number so that the series Ʃ a_n converges whereas the series Ʃ (a_n)^2 diverges.

I believe I managed to disprove that. Is it indeed false?

(2) There exists a sequence of real numbers a_n so that the series Ʃ a_n converges absolutely whereas the series Ʃ (a_n)^2 diverges.

I proved it. Is it indeed true?

(3) Let a_n and b_n be sequences of real numbers. Provided that lim n->∞ (b_n)/(a_n) = 1 and the series Ʃ a_n converges, then the series Ʃ b_n converges.

I am not sure how to go about that one. Could someone please help?

(4) Prove that if the series Ʃ a_n converges, then the series Ʃ (a_n)/(n^2) converges absolutely.

I am not sure how to prove that. I am also not allowed to explicitly make use of the Cauchy product theorem. May you please advise how to go about it?

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that they are eseentially the same.
How may I prove (3) and (4)? Any concrete suggestions?
 
For (4) use Abel's theorem for convergence of general series in the form Ʃanbn
 
I don't think we're allowed to use that. May you please formulate the theorem so I may be a better judge of that?
 
In (2), you proved that there was an absolutely convergent series such that [itex]\sum a_n^2[/itex] diverges? May I know what your example of such a series is??

For (3), write out what it means that the limit equals 1 and use a comparison test.
 
Re (3), I have tried that approach but I am not allowed to express that quotient as lim b_n = lim a_n, since that would be tantamount to dividing by lim a_n (which is zero). So I am not sure how to proceed.
 
You know that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{b_n}{a_n}=1[/itex]. What does that mean by definition?
 
There exists an epsilon>0 so that for every n0>=n |(b_n/a_n) - 1| < epsilon.
 
Sorry, it's very late here. I meant to write: for every epsilon > 0 there exists n0 so that for every n>=n0 |(b_n - a_n) - 1| < epsilon. Better?
 
OK. So let's take [itex]\varepsilon=1[/itex]. Then there exists an [itex]n_0[/itex] so that for all [itex]n>n_0[/itex], we have

[tex]|b_n-a_n|<|a_n|[/tex]

Now use the comparison test.
 
Sigma |b_n - a_n| converges (based on comparison test) and sigma a_n converges notwithstanding, does that necessarily indicate that sigma b_n converges?
 
peripatein said:
Sigma |b_n - a_n| converges (based on comparison test) and sigma a_n converges notwithstanding, does that necessarily indicate that sigma b_n converges?

Yes. Try to figure out why.
 
Is it simply because sigma b_n = sigma (b_n - a_n + a_n) = sum of two converging series, hence convergent itself?
 
But you are not given that the series of an converges absolutely.