1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a and b divide n prove or disprove that a.b divides n.

1. Aug 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a and b divide n prove or disprove that a.b divides n.[a,b,n are positive intergers]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose a.b does not divide n.
    Then [itex]\frac{n}{a.b}[/itex]=I [I must not be a postitive interger]
    [itex]\frac{n}{a.b}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex].[itex]\frac{n}{b}[/itex] since a divides n it follows that n=a.x where x is a positive interger.

Therefore[itex]\frac{x}{b}[/itex]=I
    This implies that the quotient of two positive intergers cannot be an interger and this is a contradiction.

I have a feeling this proof is not sufficient since it is a only a contradiction in certain cases where b divides x. If anybody could tell me if this proof is sufficient and/or give me a better one that would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Think of a number with a lot of divisors, say 12 :

Divisors are : 2,3,4,6, 12...

Can you spot an issue with the products?

4. Aug 25, 2012 #3
    Is it that the products can be more than the original number 12 and therefore clearly don't divide 12.

5. Aug 25, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Right. 4|12, and 6|12 , but (4)(6)=24. Your statement, (I think) , would be true,if

you restricted yourself to divisors of n smaller than Sqr(n) , the square root of n.

6. Aug 25, 2012 #5
    That does makes sense that would work and I also think it would work if the a and b were relative primes such that (a,b)=1.

7. Aug 25, 2012 #6

Bacle2

Science Advisor

You're right, 6|300 and 15|300, but 90 does not. This is also a counter to the

original of a different type--since 90<300 ,so that it could in theory divide it.

Maybe this counterargument would also work:

If a|n and b|n implied ab|n without qualification,then we could extend this to :

a|n and ab|n would imply a(ab)|n . Then a(ab)|n and b|n would imply a(ab)b|n ,....

8. Aug 25, 2012 #7
    however, if the G.C.D of a and b is 1, then ab does divide n.
    In general, the L.C.M of a and b does divide n by definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook