Fourier series for a series of functions

In summary, the conversation discusses equations involving complex numbers and their summations. It also addresses the question of how to handle summations that go from negative infinity to infinity and how to simplify the result.
EnriqueOrtizMartinez
Homework Statement
From equations 1) or 2) use the appropriate values of ## \theta ## usually ## (0 ,\frac{\pi }{2},\pi )## , to get to the indicated equation.
Relevant Equations
1)

## f(\theta )=e^{b\theta }(-\pi <\theta <\pi ) \quad | \quad\frac{sinh(b\pi )}{\pi }\sum_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{(-1)^{n}}{b-in}e^{in\theta } ##

2)

##f(\theta )=e^{b\theta }(0<\theta <2\pi )\quad | \quad\frac{e^{2\pi b}-1}{2\pi }\sum_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{e^{in\theta }}{b-in}##

Indicated equation:

##\sum_{1 }^{\infty }\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n^{2}+b^{2}}=\frac{\pi }{2b}csch(b\pi )-\frac{1}{2b^{2}}##
## ##

Well I start with equation 1): ## e^{b\theta }=\frac{sinh(b\pi )}{\pi }\sum_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{(-1)^{n}}{b-in}e^{in\theta } ##

If ## \theta =0 ##
##e^{b(0)}=\frac{sinh(b\pi )}{\pi }\sum_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{(-1)^{n}}{b-in}e^{in(0) }##
##1=\frac{sinh(b\pi )}{\pi }\sum_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{(-1)^{n}}{b-in} ##
Using the conjugate of the complex:
##1=\frac{sinh(b\pi )}{\pi }\sum_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{(-1)^{n}}{b-in}\frac{b+in}{b+in} ##
## 1=\frac{sinh(b\pi )}{\pi }\sum_{-\infty }^{\infty }(-1)^{n}\frac{b+in}{b^{2}+n^{2}}##
## \pi csch(b\pi )=\sum_{-\infty }^{\infty }(-1)^{n}\frac{b+in}{b^{2}+n^{2}}##Up to now I have only arrived, I do not know if it is for equation 1 to arrive at the result or for equation 2, another doubt that I have is that the summations of equations 1) and 2) tend to ##(-\infty ,\infty ) ## and the result of the summation tends to ## (1,\infty )## , as I do so that the sum of ## (-\infty ,\infty )## tend a ## (1,\infty )## ,my idea was to see if the functions were even or odd but since both are exponential they are not odd or even, they can help me with my problem in advance thanks.

Attachments

• 2.-Fourier.png
    2.-Fourier.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 291
Physics news on Phys.org
The terms for [itex]n > 0[/itex] and [itex]-n[/itex] are complex conjugates. This reordering of terms is justifiable if you treat the summation as [tex]
\lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n = -N}^{N} (-1)^n \frac{b + in}{b^2 + n^2}.[/tex]

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies. It is named after French mathematician Joseph Fourier and is used to analyze and approximate various types of periodic phenomena.

2. What is the purpose of using Fourier series for a series of functions?

The purpose of using Fourier series is to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand. It also allows for the approximation of a function with a finite number of terms, making it useful in practical applications.

3. How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated using a series of mathematical operations, including integration, differentiation, and complex numbers. The specific calculations depend on the type of function being analyzed and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What are the applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, signal processing, and image processing. They are used to analyze and approximate periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electric signals, and heat distribution.

5. Can Fourier series be used for non-periodic functions?

No, Fourier series are only applicable to periodic functions. However, there are other mathematical techniques, such as the Fourier transform, that can be used to analyze non-periodic functions.