Fourier series (maybe) of e^x from 0 to 2pi

In summary, the person is asking for suggestions on finding the Fourier series from -2pi to 2pi, but is having trouble getting rid of certain terms. The recommendation is to use the complex Fourier series, with the given formula for Cn. The range of integration is different in this case, and the person is advised to use the given expression for f(x) and continue from there.
iceblits
Hey,
I have to show:
math_problem.png

Should I try to find the Fourier series from -2pi to 2pi? I have tried this already but I can't seem to get rid of the cos(nx/2) and sin(nx/2) to turn them into just sin(nx) and cos(nx) and the denominator stays as (n^2+4 instead of n^2+1.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably easiest to use the complex Fourier series.
$$
f(x)=e^x=\sum_{-\infty}^\infty C_n e^{in\pi x/\ell}\text{, where}\\
C_n=\frac{1}{2\ell}\int_{-\ell}^\ell f(x)e^{-in\pi x/\ell}\, \mathrm{d}x\text{.}
$$
The range of integration will be a little different in your case. You can picture ##e^x## as being a function that repeats every ##2\pi##. Effectively, ##\ell=\pi##, but you're not integrating symmetrically about the origin.
$$
C_n=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi} e^xe^{-in\pi x/\pi}\, \mathrm{d}x=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}e^{(1-in)x}\, \mathrm{d}x\\
=\frac{1}{2\pi(1-in)}e^{(1-in)x}\big|_0^{2\pi}\\
=\frac{e^{2\pi}-1}{2\pi(1-in)}=C_n
$$
I should probably let you handle it from here. Use the expression given for ##f(x)## above.

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a combination of sine and cosine functions. It is used to decompose a complex function into simpler components and is commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, and other fields of science and engineering.

What is the Fourier series of e^x from 0 to 2pi?

The Fourier series of e^x from 0 to 2pi is a representation of the exponential function over one period (2pi). It can be written as:
e^x = 1 + x + (x^2 / 2!) + (x^3 / 3!) + (x^4 / 4!) + ...
This series is infinite and converges to e^x for all values of x.

Why is the Fourier series of e^x important?

The Fourier series of e^x is important because it allows us to approximate a complex function with a simpler series of sine and cosine functions. This can be useful in solving differential equations, analyzing data, and understanding periodic phenomena.

What is the convergence of the Fourier series of e^x from 0 to 2pi?

The Fourier series of e^x from 0 to 2pi is a convergent series, meaning that as the number of terms in the series increases, the approximation to the original function becomes more accurate. However, the series only converges to e^x within the interval of 0 to 2pi.

Can the Fourier series of e^x be extended to other intervals?

Yes, the Fourier series of e^x can be extended to any interval where e^x is defined. This can be done by using the periodicity of the exponential function and the properties of the Fourier series. However, the coefficients of the series may change for different intervals.