1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform and Parseval's Theorem

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using Parseval's theorem,

$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} h(\tau) r(\tau) d\tau = \int^\infty_{-\infty} H(s)R(-s) ds$$

and the properties of the Fourier transform, show that the Fourier transform of ##f(t)g(t)## is

$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} F(s)G(\nu-s)ds$$

2. Relevant equations
    Fourier transform for ##f(t)g(t)## is defined as:

$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} f(t)g(t) e^{-2 \pi \nu t} dt$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    So starting from the definition of Fourier transform:

$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} f(t)g(t) e^{-2 \pi \nu t} dt$$

So, do we need to ignore the exponential term here? If we ignore it, we can apply Parseval's theorem to get the frequency domain:

$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} f(t)g(t) dt = \int^\infty_{-\infty} F(s) G(- s) d s$$

Now, what property of the Fourier transform can I use to get ##G(-s) \implies G(\nu-s)##?

I don't understand what the ##(\nu-s)## part means, does it indicates some sort of shifting or delay in the input? :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you forgot an ##i## in the exponent in the definition of Fourier transform.

You cannot just ignore the exponential term in ##\int^\infty_{-\infty} f(t)g(t) e^{-2 \pi iv t} dt##

Start with ##G(v-s)## for a fixed ##v##.
    Write out the formula for ##G(v-s)##, and you will note that ##G(v-s)=\mathcal F (g_v(-s))## for some function ##g_v## (##\mathcal F## denotes the Fourier transform).

Using that knowledge about ##G(v-s)##, apply Parseval's theorem to ##\int^\infty_{-\infty} F(s)G(v-s)ds## and see what you get ...

A little remark about terminology:
    It is clearer when you write something like:
    the Fourier transform of ##f(t)g(t)## in ##\nu## is $$\int^\infty_{-\infty} F(s)G(\nu-s)ds$$

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  4. Dec 11, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your input. In ##g_v## what does the subscript ##v## mean? Should it not be ##g_t## since ##G(s)## is the Fourier transform of ##g(t)##? (In my course a function denoted by a capital letter is the Fourier transform of the function denoted by the corresponding small letter)

So from the definition, the formula for the ##G(v-s)## part is:

$$G(v-s) = \int^\infty_{-\infty} g(t) e^{-i 2 \pi st} dt$$

Here I used the duality property of the Fourier transform i.e. ##F(t) \iff f(-s)##

Is this the right formula?

5. Dec 11, 2015 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no ##v## in your right hand side expression for ##G(v-s)##, so that can't be correct.

I really meant ##g_v##. Just pick one ##v## as a constant and let's work with that for a while.

In general, the definition of the Fourier transform is:
    $$G(u) = \int^\infty_{-\infty} g(t) e^{-2 \pi iut} dt$$

I deliberately used another name for the variable here.
    Now set ##u=v-s## in that definition. You get:
    $$G(v-s) = \int^\infty_{-\infty} g(t) e^{-2 \pi i(v-s)t} dt=\int^\infty_{-\infty} \Big(g(t)e^{- 2 \pi ivt}\Big)e^{-2 \pi i(-s)t} dt$$

Compare that last expression with the definition of the Fourier transform. What we have there is the Fourier transform of the function between the big brackets at the point ##-s##. So now name the function between the big brackets ##g_v##, and what we have is that:
    $$g_v(t)=g(t)e^{-2 \pi ivt}$$
    $$G(v-s)=\mathcal F(g_v(-s))$$
    Or, if you prefer the convention of your course:
    $$G(v-s)=G_v(-s)$$
    Now apply this to evaluate ##\int^\infty_{-\infty} F(s)G(v-s)ds##, by using Parseval's theorem.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  6. Dec 12, 2015 #5

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Never mind. I thought something was wrong, but I was wrong about that.

My sincere apologies for my confusion.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  7. Dec 12, 2015 #6
    I see. Thank you very much for the clear explanation.

$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} F(s) G(\nu -s) ds = \int^\infty_{-\infty} F(s) G_\nu (-s) ds$$

using Parseval's theorem this becomes:

$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} f(t) g_\nu (t) dt = \int^\infty_{-\infty} f(t) g(t) e^{-2 \pi i \nu t} dt$$

Is this then sufficient to 'show' that ##\int^\infty_{-\infty} F(s) G(\nu -s)ds## is the Fourier transform of ##f(t)g(t)##?

8. Dec 12, 2015 #7

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, because taking the two equations together, you now proved that for any ##\nu##: $$ \int^\infty_{-\infty} f(t) g(t) e^{-2 \pi i \nu t}=\int^\infty_{-\infty} F(s) G(\nu -s) ds$$
    The left hand side is by definition the Fourier transform of the function ##f.g## at point ##\nu##.

As an aside, ##\int^\infty_{-\infty} F(s) G(\nu -s) ds## is called the convolution of F and G at ##\nu##. (More here and here)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  9. Dec 12, 2015 #8
    Thank you so much for your help. That was very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted