Fourier Transform of a Gaussian Pulse

In summary, the Fourier transform of a Gaussian pulse is also a Gaussian with a different scaling factor. Make sure to include all relevant exponents and constants in your calculations.
cytochrome

Homework Statement

Consider a Gaussian pulse exp[-(t/Δt)^2/2]exp(i*w*t), where Δt is its approximate pulse width in time. Use the Fourier transform to find its spectrum.

Homework Equations

The Fourier transform of a Gaussian is a Gaussian. If a Gaussian is given by

f(t) = exp(-t^2/2)

then its Fourier transform is

F(w) = sqrt(2 * pi)exp(-w^2/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused by the relevant equations (given by professor) because the exponents are not dimensionless... Nonetheless I just plugged and chugged to get

sqrt(Δt)exp^(-(pi * Δt * w))^2

since this creates a dimensionless exponent. I'm not sure where to include the 2 from the original Gaussian though...

Physics news on Phys.org
Convolve your Gaussian transform with the transform of exp(iwt).

cytochrome said:

Homework Statement

Consider a Gaussian pulse exp[-(t/Δt)^2/2]exp(i*w*t), where Δt is its approximate pulse width in time. Use the Fourier transform to find its spectrum.

Homework Equations

The Fourier transform of a Gaussian is a Gaussian. If a Gaussian is given by

f(t) = exp(-t^2/2)

then its Fourier transform is

F(w) = sqrt(2 * pi)exp(-w^2/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused by the relevant equations (given by professor) because the exponents are not dimensionless... Nonetheless I just plugged and chugged to get

sqrt(Δt)exp^(-(pi * Δt * w))^2

since this creates a dimensionless exponent. I'm not sure where to include the 2 from the original Gaussian though...
Can you show your work? It looks like you made some algebra errors along the way.

1) What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It allows us to analyze the frequency components of a signal or function.

2) What is a Gaussian Pulse?

A Gaussian Pulse is a type of waveform that has a bell-shaped curve with a maximum at its center and decays towards zero on either side. It is commonly used in signal processing and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

3) How is a Fourier Transform of a Gaussian Pulse calculated?

The Fourier Transform of a Gaussian Pulse is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the Gaussian function and the complex exponential function. This integral can be solved analytically, resulting in a Gaussian function in the frequency domain.

4) What information can be obtained from a Fourier Transform of a Gaussian Pulse?

The Fourier Transform of a Gaussian Pulse provides information about the frequency components present in the original signal. It can help in identifying the dominant frequency, the bandwidth, and the shape of the signal in the frequency domain.

5) What are the applications of a Fourier Transform of a Gaussian Pulse?

The Fourier Transform of a Gaussian Pulse has various applications in signal processing, image processing, data analysis, and communication systems. It is used to filter out noise from signals, compress data, and analyze the frequency content of a signal or a system.