1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of a modified impulse train

1. Jul 26, 2007 #1
    I need to find the Fourier Transform (FT) of:

[tex]x(t)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}((-1)^{n}\delta(t-nT))[/tex]

Not really sure how to solve this problem, so any help will be appreciated.

Also, if you guys know a good reference for non-uniform sampling and reconstruction, please post it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2007 #2

Note: I think my answer below is correct, but I've never found a way to check my answers when finding the FT.... So, if someone with more experience could verify this, I would appreciate it!

Notice first that all the impulses at odd values of [itex]n[/itex] are being subtracted, while all the impulses at even values of [itex]n[/itex] are being added. This suggests that we write [itex]x(t)[/itex] as follows:

[tex]x(t)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta(t-2nT) - \sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta(t-(2n+1)T) [/tex]

[tex]=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta(t-2nT) - \sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta(t-2nT-T)[/tex]

Now let

[tex]\hat{x}(t) = \sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta(t-2nT)[/tex]

This is a standard impulse train with period 2T. From any table of basic Fourier Transforms:

[tex]\hat{X}(j\omega) = \frac{2\pi}{2T}\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta\left(\omega-\frac{2\pi n}{2T}\right) = \frac{\pi}{T}\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta\left(\omega-\frac{\pi n}{T}\right)[/tex]

Now notice that [itex]x(t)[/itex], above, can be written as:

[tex]x(t)=\hat{x}(t)-\hat{x}(t-T)[/itex]

We already know the fourier transform for [itex]\hat{x}(t)[/itex]; now we just need to use the time shifting property to find the transform for [itex]\hat{x}(t-T)[/itex]:

[tex]FT \{\hat{x}(t-T)\} = e^{-j\omega T}\hat{X}(j\omega)[/tex]

Now, by linearity:

[tex]X(j\omega)=\hat{X}(j\omega)-e^{-j\omega T}\hat{X}(j\omega)
    =\hat{X}(j\omega)[1-e^{-j\omega T}][/tex]

And since we are dealing with an impulse train, the only values of [itex]\omega[/itex] we have to deal with are those at:

[tex]\omega=\frac{\pi n}{T}[/tex] (since the impulse will be 0 everywhere else).

From this we can write:

[tex]e^{-j\omega T}=e^{-j\pi n }=(-1)^n[/tex]

So our final answer will be:

[tex]X(j\omega)=\frac{\pi}{T}\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta\left(\omega-\frac{\pi n}{T}\right)[1-(-1)^n][/tex]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  4. Jul 27, 2007 #3
    Thanks WolfOfTheSteps, I checked it out with a friend and it seems to be correct.

Still, if anybody knows a good reference for non-uniform sampling and reconstruction, please post it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?