Fourier Transform of wavefunction - momentum space

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the possible momentum and energy values, along with their corresponding probabilities, by Fourier transforming the given wavefunction into momentum space. The conversation also mentions the need to consider the domain of x and the use of the momentum operator's eigenfunctions to express the wavefunction in terms of possible momentum values. However, there is discussion about the incorrect use of variables and the need to consider both positive and negative momentum values. The conversation ends with the reminder to not drop the imaginary part when expressing the cosine in terms of exponential functions.
unscientific

Homework Statement

2q9g8lh.png

Find possible momentum, and their probabilities. Find possible energies, and their probabilities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, we need to Fourier transform it into momentum space:

[tex]\psi_k = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int \psi_x e^{-ikx} dx [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int \psi_x exp(-i\frac{p}{\hbar}x) dx[/tex]

(Why is there an extra factor of ##\sqrt \hbar## at the denominator?)

[tex] = \frac{A}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int \left[ cos (\frac{p}{\hbar}x) + cos(\frac{2p}{\hbar}x)\right] exp (-i\frac{p}{\hbar}x) dx [/tex]

Now the Fourier transform of ##cos (qx)## is ##\pi(\delta_{(k-q)} + \delta_{(k+q)})##:

[tex]\frac{A\pi}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}}\left[ \delta_0 + \delta_{(2\frac{p}{\hbar})} + \delta_{(\frac{p}{\hbar})} + \delta_{(3\frac{p}{\hbar})}\right] [/tex]

[tex] \psi_{(p)} = A \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2\hbar}}[/tex]

It's strange that I got a constant..

I tried a different approach to see if it will work:

The wavefunction is a combination of state 'k' and '2k':

Probabilities of getting each state is simply ##A^2##.
The two possible momenta are ##\hbar k## and ##2\hbar k##.

Likewise for energy, probabilities are simply ##A^2##.
The two possible energies are ##\frac{\hbar k^2}{2m}## and ##\frac{\hbar (2k)^2}{m}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:
First, we need to Fourier transform it into momentum space:
[tex]\psi_k = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int \psi_x e^{-ikx} dx [/tex]
You seem to be using "k" inconsistently. It was a constant in the question, but here you're using it as a variable.

[tex] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int \psi_x exp(-i\frac{p}{\hbar}x) dx[/tex]
And now you switch to a "p" variable without explanation. You need to write down the definitions of Fourier transform (and inverse) that you're working from. (It should have been in the "relevant equations" section, which you left empty.) Doing that might also help answer your question about ##\sqrt \hbar## at the denominator.

Also, the original question didn't specify the domain of x. Is it supposed to be the whole real line, or just a finite region?

[tex] = \frac{A}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int \left[ cos (\frac{p}{\hbar}x) + cos(\frac{2p}{\hbar}x)\right] exp (-i\frac{p}{\hbar}x) dx [/tex]
That looks wrong. Why has the original "k" in ##\psi(x)## disappeared?

Now the Fourier transform of ##cos (qx)## is ##\pi(\delta_{(k-q)} + \delta_{(k+q)})##:
[tex]\frac{A\pi}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}}\left[ \delta_0 + \delta_{(2\frac{p}{\hbar})} + \delta_{(\frac{p}{\hbar})} + \delta_{(3\frac{p}{\hbar})}\right] [/tex]
[tex] \psi_{(p)} = A \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2\hbar}}[/tex]
It's strange that I got a constant.
Well, that's because you got it wrong (afaict). Attend to some of the things I mentioned above, and then re-do the FT, showing the detail of your attempt here (i.e., don't just quote the result you get).

Another approach is this: what is the representation of the momentum operator? What are its eigenfunctions? Can you express the original wave function easily in terms of such eigenfunctions?
(Of course, that's what an FT is doing, but maybe there's a shortcut in this case...)

strangerep said:
You seem to be using "k" inconsistently. It was a constant in the question, but here you're using it as a variable.And now you switch to a "p" variable without explanation. You need to write down the definitions of Fourier transform (and inverse) that you're working from. (It should have been in the "relevant equations" section, which you left empty.) Doing that might also help answer your question about ##\sqrt \hbar## at the denominator.

Also, the original question didn't specify the domain of x. Is it supposed to be the whole real line, or just a finite region?

That looks wrong. Why has the original "k" in ##\psi(x)## disappeared?

Well, that's because you got it wrong (afaict). Attend to some of the things I mentioned above, and then re-do the FT, showing the detail of your attempt here (i.e., don't just quote the result you get).

Another approach is this: what is the representation of the momentum operator? What are its eigenfunctions? Can you express the original wave function easily in terms of such eigenfunctions?
(Of course, that's what an FT is doing, but maybe there's a shortcut in this case...)

I think I got it.

The eigenfunctions of momentum operator are obtained by solving:

[tex]-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} u_p = p u_p[/tex]

[tex]u_p = C exp(-i\frac{p}{\hbar}x)[/tex]
To normalize, we say ##\langle p|p\rangle = 1##.

img1174.png

Therefore ##u_p = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}}exp(i\frac{p}{\hbar}x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} cos (\frac{p}{\hbar}x)##. Simply by comparing we deduce ##k = \frac{p}{\hbar}##.

Thus the wavefunction given is in a state that's the superposition of ##\hbar k## and ##2\hbar k## states.

This implies that the possible momenta are ##\hbar k## and ##2\hbar k##.

Equal probabilities of getting either.

Energy is found by using ##E_1 = \frac{p^2}{2m}## or ##E_2 = \frac{4p^2}{2m}##

You can't jump from the exponential to the cosine willy-nilly like that. What happened to the imaginary part? Do you think it's OK to through it away without an explanation?

dauto said:
You can't jump from the exponential to the cosine willy-nilly like that. What happened to the imaginary part? Do you think it's OK to through it away without an explanation?

Observables corresponding to hermitian operators are real. So we take the real part.

unscientific said:
Observables corresponding to hermitian operators are real.
Wrong terminology. Observables are hermitian operators (well, actually self-adjoint operators, but I won't get into that distinction now). There is a theorem that eigenvalues of hermitian operators on a Hilbert space are real. Perhaps that's what you were mis-remembering?

Think more carefully about what dauto said. You seem to have missed the possibility that p could be either +ve or -ve. You need a linear combination of your basic ##u_p## eigenstates to get each cos function in ##\psi(x)##.

unscientific said:
Observables corresponding to hermitian operators are real. So we take the real part.

You meant to say that the eigenvalue of an observable is real.
The wave function is nether an observable nor an eigenvalue. You can't just drop the imaginary part. Try expressing the cosine as a combination of exponential functions.

dauto said:
You meant to say that the eigenvalue of an observable is real.
The wave function is nether an observable nor an eigenvalue. You can't just drop the imaginary part. Try expressing the cosine as a combination of exponential functions.

The cosine is ##\frac{1}{2}\left(u_{p} + u_{-p}\right)##. Combination of forward and backward momentum

What is a Fourier Transform of wavefunction in momentum space?

The Fourier Transform of a wavefunction in momentum space is a mathematical operation that converts the wavefunction from position space to momentum space. It represents the wavefunction as a sum of complex plane waves with different momenta, describing the probability of finding a particle with a particular momentum. It is an important tool used in quantum mechanics to analyze the behavior of particles.

How is the Fourier Transform of wavefunction calculated?

The Fourier Transform of a wavefunction is calculated using the Fourier integral formula, which involves integrating the wavefunction over all space with a complex exponential factor. This integral is then solved using mathematical techniques such as contour integration or the method of stationary phase to obtain the wavefunction in momentum space.

What is the significance of the Fourier Transform of wavefunction in momentum space?

The Fourier Transform of a wavefunction in momentum space provides valuable information about the momentum distribution of a particle. It allows scientists to study the behavior of particles in terms of their momentum, which is particularly useful in understanding phenomena such as diffraction, interference, and tunneling. It also helps in solving many problems in quantum mechanics by simplifying the equations in momentum space.

Can the Fourier Transform of wavefunction be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the Fourier Transform of wavefunction is not only used in quantum mechanics, but also in other branches of science such as signal processing, optics, and acoustics. In these fields, the Fourier Transform is used to analyze signals and to convert them from the time domain to the frequency domain, providing a better understanding of their behavior and properties.

Are there any limitations to the Fourier Transform of wavefunction?

The Fourier Transform of wavefunction is a powerful mathematical tool, but it has limitations. One of the main limitations is that it assumes the wavefunction is square-integrable, which means it must have a finite energy. This makes it unsuitable for analyzing wavefunctions that are not square-integrable, such as those that describe particles with infinite energy or non-normalizable wavefunctions.