1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourth Order Homogenous Differential Equation

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y4 - 6y3 + 9y2
    y(0) = 19; y'(0) = 16; y"(0) = 9; y"'(0) = 0

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Factored out the equation and obtained the following roots.
    r2(r2-3) = 0 which gives r = 0 and r =3.
    Using those roots, I make the following general solution.
    y(x) = j*e3x + k*x*e3x + L*k*x2*e3x
    I am assuming since one of the roots is zero then the solution will not have to have add i*e0t. I am also assuming since this is a fourth order equation that I will need to solve for n=4 variables and that this is the form in which I should tackle it. Am I mistaken in my assumptions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is your differential equation? y(4) - 6y(3) + 9y(2) = 0?

Your characteristic equation has four roots, with 0 and 3 repeated. Your basic set of solutions is {1, x, e3x, xe3x}. Your general solution will be all linear combinations of these functions, or
    y(x) = c1*1 + c2*x + c3*e3x + c4*xe3x. Use your initial conditions to solve for the constants ci.

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3
    Yea it was equal to zero and thanks for the general equation. It solved a lot of the confusion I had on what to do with the r = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook