Factorial and the commutative property of multiplication

In summary: Terrestrial officers Tyler and Denver On Process Being and the Absolute Infinite Twilight Zone the Movie goes really good with this quote from Blaise PascalOur understanding of mathematics and the natural world is limited and insignificant compared to the intelligence of nature. This is evident in the commutative property of multiplication, where the order of numbers does not affect the result, and the symmetry of the Pascal triangle, which has many applications in mathematics. Our fear and awe of infinity as children may stem from our limited understanding of the vastness of the universe. However, as we grow older, we may come to see ourselves as a small part of the greater whole, rather than being frightened by our place in the cosmos.
Terrestrial officer
In how many different ways can we arrange three letters A, B, and C? There are three candidates for the third position that leaves the two remaining letters for the second position and so 3 times 2 is 6 and One is the multiplicative identity I am astonished by The commutative property of multiplication because it seems as if the system were thought up in some very convenient way. I mean How do you get any two numbers when multiplied or added together in either order to be the same number? I am simply astonished! Math is so very elegant! How does the mathematics system know these things. Albert Einstein stated that nature reveals an intelligence of such superiority that compared with it all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection.
3 times 2 times 1 or 1 times 2 times 3 For 3! how does the commutative property apply?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The commutative property is an outcome of how we defined the addition and multiplication operations. These definitions are a consequence of the way we view the world.

If I take 6 apples and place 2 to the right and 4 on the left hence (2 + 4 = 6) then someone facing you will see 2 on the left and 4 on the right hence (4 + 2 = 6) as we still have six apples. Hence 2 + 4 must equal 4 + 2.

Similarly for multiplication, if I organize my collection of 6 apples as 2 rows of 3 apples (2x3=6) then someone standing to my right might see 3 rows of 2 apples (3x2=6) since we both see the same number of apples then 2x3 must equal 3x2.

Likes Nugatory, berkeman, fresh_42 and 1 other person
I'm no mathematician, but I believe it is important to look not for grand, fantastic reasons that math works the way it works, but to go the other way and look at the basics. Look at how the basic operations are defined and how they themselves then define other operations and relationships. You'll find that it quite naturally leads to such rules as the commutative property.

Likes phinds and jedishrfu
fresh_42 said:
What comes to mind here is the Pascal triangle, and its many applications.
A few of them stressing the symmetries can be found on:
http://www.mathsisfun.com/pascals-triangle.html
Infinity commonly inspires feelings of awe, futility, and fear. Who as a child did not lie in bed filled with a slowly mounting terror while sinking into the idea of a universe that goes on and on, for ever and ever? Blaise Pascal puts this feeling very well: "When I consider the small span of my life absorbed in the eternity of all time, or the small part of space which I can touch or see engulfed by the infinite immensity of spaces that I know not and that know me not, I am frightened and astonished to see myself here instead of there... now instead of then." "I am no longer frightened by our situation here in the Cosmos but only astonished to see ourselves here instead of there now instead of then." Terrestrial officers Tyler and Denver On Process Being and the Absolute Infinite Twilight Zone the Movie goes really good with this quote from Blaise Pascal The part of the movie to watch is about the young boy who could wish people away or into a television and get eaten by a cartoon monster he has complete control the of universe and the absolute infinite!

Terrestrial officer said:
Infinity commonly inspires feelings of awe, futility, and fear. Who as a child did not lie in bed filled with a slowly mounting terror while sinking into the idea of a universe that goes on and on, for ever and ever?
I didn't. If I had, my mother probably would have given me a dose of cod liver oil.

Likes Terrestrial officer
As a child I had a fear that a robot would break into my room. I think this was after I saw the movie Target Earth on TV. Humanity eventually prevailed when it was discovered that a high frequency sound would shatter their vacuum tube computer. Hey it was the 1950/s before the advent of the transistor.

http://www.bmoviecentral.com/bmc/reviews/118-target-earth-1954-75-minutes.html

and the movie clip, still quite terrifying:

Also as a child, I had dreams that I was shrinking though now I believe I was in tune with the universe expanding. :-) Not!

Children don't think so deeply on such things as their focus is on the immediate world around them including what they see on TV. After 911, some really younger children were in great fear as the saw the repeated broadcasts of the World Trade Center collapse and thought Oh no, another building collapsed!" not understanding it was a recording being replayed.

With that note this thread has run its course and will now be closed.

Thanks to everyone for participating.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

What is the factorial of a number?

The factorial of a number is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to that number. It is denoted by the symbol ! and is commonly used in mathematics to represent the number of ways to arrange a set of objects in a specific order.

What is the commutative property of multiplication?

The commutative property of multiplication states that the order of factors does not affect the product. In other words, when multiplying two numbers, the result will be the same regardless of the order in which the numbers are multiplied.

How do you calculate the factorial of a number?

To calculate the factorial of a number, you multiply that number by all of the positive integers that come before it. For example, the factorial of 5 (written as 5!) would be calculated as 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1, which equals 120.

Is the commutative property of multiplication applicable to all numbers?

Yes, the commutative property of multiplication holds true for all numbers, including whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. This property is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used extensively in various mathematical operations.

What are some practical applications of the factorial and commutative property of multiplication?

The factorial is commonly used in probability and combinatorics to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario. The commutative property of multiplication is applied in various fields, such as algebra, geometry, and physics, to simplify calculations and solve equations.