Fractional Error and Differentiation

I would write it as $$\Delta s=\frac s{N+\frac{2r}d}\sqrt{\frac{\Delta N^2}{N^2}+\frac{4\Delta r^2}{r^2}}$$In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where data was gathered for variables N and r. The formula for the relationship between these variables is described as strength of source = (4.3*10^-10)*(N(r^2)/d^2) curies, with d=0.02m and delta r=5*10^-5m.
Soaring Crane
The following was gathered in an experiment.

r(m)----- N1------N2-----N3----N4-------N5---N_avg---delta N
0.001---131------139---175---140-----158----148.6----15.882
0.002----90-------96---102-----87------85----92------6.228
0.003----52-------53----73-----65------55----59.6----8.139
0.004----53-------53----55-----39------54----50.8----5.946
0.005----26-------45----34 -----24------36-----33-----7.537

delta N = stand. dev. of row

The formula that describes the relationship among these variables is:

Strength of source = (4.3*10^-10)*[N(r^2)/d^2] curies, where d was found to be 0.02 m and delta r = 5*10^-5 m.

Find the error (delta s) of strength of the source.

I took the derivative of the formula:

delta s = (4.3*10^-10)/(d^2)*[(deltaN/N) + (2deltar/r)]

However, I don't know where to go from here to find /\strength.

How do I used this formula with all the individual /\N's, N_avg values, and r values?

I did do a graph of r vs. N^-1/2 and found the slope of the regression line,

where strength = (4.3*10^-10)(slope)^2/(d^2) and the line's slope is equal to Nr^2. (The value d is a constant here.)

Please I really need help.:frown: Thank you for any replies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have committed (ahem) a ‘standard error'. You want the uncertainty in the mean of a set of values forN, not the uncertainty in each reading. This is known as the standard error of the mean. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_error.
I haven’t checked how you calculated the "delta N" values. I assume it was by dividing by n-1 (=4), not by n, before taking the square root. If so, you now need to divide each delta N by √n, i,e. √5.
From there, you can apply ##\frac{\Delta s}s=\frac{\Delta N}N+2\frac{\Delta r}r##

1. What is fractional error?

Fractional error is a measure of the uncertainty or inaccuracy in a measurement, expressed as a fraction or percentage of the actual value. It is calculated by dividing the difference between the measured value and the true value by the true value.

2. How is fractional error different from absolute error?

Fractional error takes into account the magnitude of the true value, while absolute error does not. This means that a small error in a large value will result in a smaller fractional error compared to the same error in a small value.

3. Can fractional error be negative?

No, fractional error cannot be negative as it is always a positive value representing the difference between the measured value and the true value.

4. What is the relationship between fractional error and differentiation?

Differentiation is the mathematical process of finding the rate of change of a function. Fractional error is used in differentiation to determine the uncertainty or error in the calculated derivative. The larger the fractional error, the less accurate the calculated derivative will be.

5. How can fractional error be minimized?

Fractional error can be minimized by using more precise and accurate measuring instruments, increasing the number of measurements taken, and improving the experimental method to reduce sources of error. It is also important to take into account any systematic errors that may be present in the measurement.