Fractions in Einstein Relativity Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of transforming a formula and finding the relationship between different equations. They ultimately come to the conclusion of factoring the difference of squares in order to solve the problem.
Norway

Homework Statement

From the formula [tex]t = \frac{L}{v+c} + \frac{L}{v-c}[/tex] I've made [tex]t = \frac{2L}{c}\left(\frac{1}{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}\right)[/tex]. This is the problem:
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}\right) = \left(\frac{1 + \frac{v^2}{c^2}}{1 - \left(\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)^2}\right)[/tex]
How?

Homework Equations

That's kinda what I'm asking for. :-b

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten this far, but no more. I've tried to see how they relate, but I can't figure anything out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Norway said:
[tex]\left(\frac{1 + \frac{v^2}{c^2}}{1 - \left(\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)^2}\right)[/tex]

Factor the difference of squares in the denominator.

You remember what [tex] x^2 - y^2 [/tex] equals to?

I get it. Thanks so much! Kinda embarrassing. :-b

1. What is Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It consists of two theories: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to include accelerating frames of reference and the effects of gravity.

2. How does Einstein's theory of relativity relate to fractions?

In Einstein's theory of relativity, fractions are used to represent the ratio between space and time. This ratio, known as the space-time interval, is a fundamental concept in special relativity and is used to calculate the effects of relative motion on the perception of time and distance.

3. What is the significance of fractions in Einstein's theory of relativity?

Fractions play a crucial role in Einstein's theory of relativity as they represent the fundamental relationship between space and time. The use of fractions allows for precise calculations and predictions of the effects of relative motion and gravity on space and time.

4. How do fractions impact our understanding of space and time in Einstein's theory of relativity?

Fractions help us understand the relativity of space and time in Einstein's theory by allowing us to accurately measure and calculate the effects of relative motion and gravity. They also show that the perception of time and distance is not absolute, but rather depends on the observer's frame of reference.

5. Are there any limitations to using fractions in Einstein's theory of relativity?

While fractions are a useful tool in understanding Einstein's theory of relativity, they are not applicable in all situations. For instance, in extreme gravitational fields, such as those near black holes, the laws of physics break down and fractions may not accurately represent the relationship between space and time. Additionally, fractions may not be able to fully explain phenomena such as quantum mechanics, which require a different approach to understanding the behavior of particles.