Disassembling a product to it's factors

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving the volume V and the calculation of ##3V-\frac{3}{4}V##. The attempt at a solution results in two different answers due to issues with notation and a suggestion is made to make the notation work more effectively.
Karol

Homework Statement

In a physics problem where V is the volume i have ##\displaystyle~3V-\frac{3}{4}V~##. i get 2 different answers when i calculate.

Homework Equations

$$a(b-c)=ab-ac$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I can:
$$3V-\frac{3}{4}V=3\left( 1-\frac{1}{4} \right)V=3\frac{3}{4}V$$
And if i solve it simply i get ##~\displaystyle \left( 3-\frac{3}{4} \right)V=2\frac{1}{4}V##

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a notational bust.

the first one reads ##3\big(\frac{3}{4}\big) = \frac{9}{4}##

the second one reads 2 and ##\frac{1}{4}## which just so happens to be equal to ##\frac{9}{4}##

Likes SammyS
##3 \left( 1-\frac{1}{4} \right)V=3 \left( \frac{3}{4} \right) V=\frac{9}{4}V=2.25V##

Karol said:

Homework Statement

In a physics problem where V is the volume i have ##\displaystyle~3V-\frac{3}{4}V~##. i get 2 different answers when i calculate.

Homework Equations

$$a(b-c)=ab-ac$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I can:
$$3V-\frac{3}{4}V=3\left( 1-\frac{1}{4} \right)V=3\frac{3}{4}V$$
And if i solve it simply i get ##~\displaystyle \left( 3-\frac{3}{4} \right)V=2\frac{1}{4}V##
Your problem is one of notation. In the first solution you use ##3\frac{3}{4}## to mean ##(3)\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)## (multiplication).
In the second solution you use ##2\frac{1}{4}## to mean ##2+\frac{1}{4}## (addition).

What is a bust, in slang?

Karol said:
What is a bust, in slang?

Basically a break in logic, or fatal error.
- - - -
You need to find a way to make the notation work for you, not against you.

Thank you:
StoneTemplePython
Kuruman
And tnich

1. What is the purpose of disassembling a product?

Disassembling a product allows scientists to understand how the product was built and how its individual components work together. This knowledge can be used to improve the design and functionality of the product.

2. How do you determine the factors of a product?

To determine the factors of a product, scientists must carefully take the product apart and examine each individual component. They may also use specialized tools and equipment to analyze the product's materials and structure.

3. What are some common factors that make up a product?

Some common factors that make up a product include materials, components, and design elements. Other factors may include the manufacturing process, the product's intended use, and any external factors that may affect its functionality.

4. What are the benefits of disassembling a product?

Disassembling a product can provide valuable insights into its design and functionality, which can then be used to improve the product or create new and innovative products. It can also help identify any potential issues or flaws in the product's design.

5. Are there any risks involved in disassembling a product?

Yes, there are some risks involved in disassembling a product. If not done carefully and with the proper tools, it can damage the product and make it unusable. There is also a risk of injury if the product contains sharp or hazardous components. It is important to follow safety protocols and guidelines when disassembling a product.