Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem

In summary, the pilot is flying from City A to City B which is 300 km [NW]. They will encounter a constant wind of 80 km/h from the north and need to complete the trip in 0.75 h. The air speed and heading of the plane should be adjusted to account for the wind and ensure the trip is completed on time. However, there is a sign error in the given solution that needs to be corrected. The diagram provided also has incorrect labels, which may have contributed to the error. The resultant speed of the plane needs to be in the direction of City B.
aatari
Hi, Could someone please have a look at my solution and let me know if I did it correctly.

Thank you!

1. Homework Statement

A pilot is flying from City A to City B which is 300 km [NW]. If the plane will encounter a constant wind of 80 km/h from the north and the schedule insists that he complete his trip in 0.75 h, what air speed and heading should the plane have?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
2.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
aatari said:
Hi, Could someone please have a look at my solution and let me know if I did it correctly.

Thank you!

1. Homework Statement

A pilot is flying from City A to City B which is 300 km [NW]. If the plane will encounter a constant wind of 80 km/h from the north and the schedule insists that he complete his trip in 0.75 h, what air speed and heading should the plane have?

Homework Equations

N/A

[/B]
View attachment 208264
You have a sign error. Unfortunately, you did not type in the solution, so I can not show, where the error is.

Likes aatari
aatari said:

View attachment 208264
Your diagram is wrong. You seem to have put label C where A should be and label A where B should be.
What direction does the resultant 400km/h need to be in?

ehild said:
You have a sign error. Unfortunately, you did not type in the solution, so I can not show, where the error is.
Thank You!

What is the "Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem"?

The "Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem" is a classic physics problem that involves understanding different frames of reference in relation to motion and velocity. It presents a scenario where a plane takes off and flies in different directions and asks questions about the plane's velocity from different frames of reference.

Why is the "Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem" important in physics?

The "Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem" is important in physics because it helps us understand the concept of relative motion and the importance of choosing the right frame of reference when analyzing motion and velocity. It also highlights the idea that there is no absolute or universal frame of reference in physics.

What are the different frames of reference in the "Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem"?

In the "Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem," there are three main frames of reference: the ground frame, the plane frame, and the air frame. The ground frame is fixed and stationary, the plane frame moves with the plane, and the air frame moves with the air.

How do you solve the "Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem"?

To solve the "Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem," you need to first identify the different frames of reference and their relative velocities. Then, use vector addition and subtraction to find the plane's velocity from each frame of reference. Finally, use the appropriate equations to calculate the total distance and time traveled by the plane.

What are some real-life applications of the "Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem"?

The "Frames of Reference Question - Airplane Problem" has many real-life applications, such as understanding the motion of objects in different frames of reference, analyzing relative velocities in different scenarios (e.g. car accidents), and predicting the movement of celestial bodies in relation to Earth's reference frame. It is also important in fields like aeronautics, navigation, and engineering.