1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fraunhofer diffraction and Fourier Transform

1. May 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In lab, I obtained a single slit diffraction pattern and recorded an image of it. The slit width is known to be 0.000134 m. We are supposed to compare our experimentally-obtained diffraction pattern to the result of taking a Discrete Fourier Transform of the aperture in MATLAB.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is my MATLAB code:

E=[-100000:25:100000];
    F=zeros(1,8001);
    for n=1:8001;
    F(n)=0.000134*(sin(pi*0.000134*E(n)))/(pi*0.000134*E(n));
    end;
    plot(E,abs(F))

Here, E corresponds to spatial frequency (m^-1). I'm plotting the power spectrum as a function of E. Qualitatively, the MATLAB result looks very similar to the experimental result, as one would expect. But can I compare the width of the central maxima? At first, I thought that maybe taking the reciprocal of the width of the central max. of the MATLAB result would yield the same width as I saw experimentally. But then again, I'm not taking into account the wavelength of the light in the code. How could I modify my code to give an accurate comparison?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2010 #2
    I guess I'm technically not taking the Discrete Fourier transform but just plotting what I know the Fourier transform should be based on F.T. pairs.

4. May 26, 2010 #3
    Any suggestions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook