1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body diagram for all forces

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two ropes are connected to a steel cable that supports a hanging weight as shown in the figure.

Draw a free-body diagram showing all of the forces acting at the knot that connects the two ropes to the steel cable.
    Draw the force vectors with their tails at the knot. The orientation of your vectors will be graded. The exact length of your vectors will not be graded but the relative length of one to the other will be graded.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    They give me vector T1, T2, and T3. I'm trying to use T1 which is the tension to the left and put it in the direction of the steel cable and the same for T2, but I do not know about T3.

Here is a picture : http://imgur.com/kEPYYle

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

The third tension comes from the third part of the cable. (There's three parts of the cable connected to the knot.)

4. Jun 21, 2015 #3
    So it should be pointing down?

5. Jun 21, 2015 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Yep

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted