Analysis of Forces Acting at Knot in Tension Rope Figure

In summary, there are four forces at play in the diagram: T1 and T2 represent the tension forces of the left and right ropes, T3 is the tension force of the steel cable, and an unlabelled vector represents the weight hanging from the ropes. To create a free-body diagram, it is important to remember that tensions are always attractive forces. T1 and T2 must point in opposite horizontal directions and T3 must balance their vertical components. The unlabelled force should not be included in the diagram as it only acts on the weight, not the knot.
oldspice1212
Two ropes are connected to a steel cable that supports a hanging weight as shown in the figure: http://tinyurl.com/93c6tn3

There are 4 forces

T1: Tension force of the left rope
T2: Tension force of the right rope
T3: Tension force of the steel cable
And an unlabelled vector

Draw a free-body diagram showing all of the forces acting at the knot that connects the two ropes to the steel cable.

I put the forces T1 on the 60 degree rope exact length and same with T2 I put that on the 40 degree rope exact length, T3 I made it going down from the 2 ropes and unlabelled force I put it as the mass of the weight going down. (This was wrong)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give us a picture of your force diagram?
I am assuming you put the weight of the mass as a force on the knot. It isn't. The weight only acts on the mass, and the tension of the rope balances it out.

Hello.

You are given the diagram. First, draw the horizontal and vertical components for both wires. Then, indicate the value for the horizontal and vertical components for both sides. You need to use trigonometry formulas for this problem.

Here's my diagram

Last edited:
Here are the problems with your diagram:
1. Tensions are always attractive, not repulsive, forces.
2. Weight only acts on masses. The knot is massless, and therefore has no weight.
3. You're concerned with the forces on the knot, not on the weight at the bottom.

It's really hard to give any more without just giving you the answer, but post your correction and we'll help you out from there.

I got it wrong again err...I tried to make T1 and T2 balance by making them both go down, and T3 I made it go down from the roof to the weight, I removed unlabelled force.

From the first post:
T1 is the left rope
T2 is the right rope
T3 is the steel cable (bottom rope)

Tensions are always attractive. This means that the ropes are always pulling masses towards themselves. Which direction is towards the rope for all three tensions?

We are assuming that the knot isn't moving, so all the forces have to balance out.
T1 and T2 are the only ones that act in the horizontal direction, so they have to point in opposite directions: one to the right and the other to the left.
T3 also acts in the vertical direction, so it has to balance the vertical components of T1 and T2.

I don't really understand the T3, but I see what you're saying for T1 and T2.

So, if T1 is pointing to the left, which way should T2 point to cancel out T1's horizontal component? And then, which way should T3 be pointing to cancel out both of their vertical components?

Now, what if T1 is pointing right?

I have one attempt left, If T1 is pointing left then T2 will be pointing right and T3 will be pointing up to balance it out.

If T1 is pointing left and T2 is pointing right, are they pointing up or down?

they will be pointing up

So if they are both pointing up, which way should T3 point so there is no net force?

Down! damn it why didn't I see that before...

1. What is the purpose of analyzing forces acting at a knot in a tension rope figure?

The purpose of analyzing forces at a knot in a tension rope figure is to understand how the forces are distributed and balanced at the knot. This can help determine the strength and stability of the knot, as well as identify any potential weak points or areas of stress.

2. What types of forces are typically present at a knot in a tension rope figure?

There are typically three types of forces present at a knot in a tension rope figure: tension, compression, and shear. Tension is the pulling force exerted by the rope, compression is the pushing force, and shear is the force that causes one part of the rope to slide against another.

3. How can I calculate the forces at a knot in a tension rope figure?

To calculate the forces at a knot, you can use the principles of vector addition and equilibrium. This involves breaking down the forces into their components and using equations such as Newton's Second Law and the sum of forces equaling zero to solve for the unknown forces.

4. How does the angle of the rope affect the forces at a knot in a tension rope figure?

The angle of the rope can have a significant impact on the forces at a knot in a tension rope figure. As the angle becomes larger, the tension forces on the rope increase, while the compression and shear forces decrease. This means that a knot with a smaller angle is typically stronger and more stable than one with a larger angle.

5. What are some common applications for analyzing forces at a knot in a tension rope figure?

Studying the forces at a knot in a tension rope figure is important in a variety of fields, including engineering, rock climbing, and sailing. Engineers may use this analysis to design structures or machinery that involve ropes, while rock climbers and sailors can use it to ensure the safety and stability of their knots and equipment.