1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body diagram(its simple but i don't know why i can't understand it)

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a 4kg block is placed on top of a 5kg block which placed on a friction less plane and a force is applied on the lower 5kg block ,For what maximum value of force will the top block not slide ?
    μ=0.036
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The maximum static friction that the top block can experience is fmax=μ mg=12 N
    But the force acts on the lower block so what will be the force on the upper block that the friction will counter?
    It would be nice to get a free body diagram.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2
    Would you agree that the 5 kg block will have to accelerate if a force is applied horizontally?

4. Aug 5, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The frictional acts between the blocks: it is a force of interaction that opposes the relative motion of both blocks. Try to draw the free body diagram separately for both blocks.

What force acts on the upper block? What would happen to it without friction?

By the way, how did you get fmax=μ mg=12 N with μ=0.036?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook