Free Body Diagram of a ice skater?

In summary, during a science lab activity involving an ice skater pushing against a force plate, Newton's three laws of motion were used to explain the skater's motion. The skater applied a force of 12.32N to the wall, causing an equal and opposite reaction that resulted in her gliding away. The force of gravity and the concept of inertia also applied to this situation. In the free body diagram, the force exerted by the skater on the force plate cannot be included, so the force pushing on the skater must come from another source. Additionally, there are three Newton's Laws of Motion in total.
Celina

Homework Statement

In our science class, we had to draw a free body diagram of an ice skater. The ice skater pushes against a force plate and that results in her skating in the other direction. (Newton's third law of motion). We have to use Newton's three law of motions to explain this. Additionally, we need to draw a free body diagram about this activity. I did some researching online and I realized that in a free body diagram, you do not draw the forces exerted by the body itself. So in this example I can not draw the force the skater pushed on the force plate. So what should I draw then?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my explanation of the skating.
In the first lab, the skater pushes against the force plate. By using Newton’s second law of motion, F=M*A, we can figure the amount of force the skater used to push against the wall. After plugging in the numbers, I got 12.32N. So, the skater applied 12.32N to the wall and then she glided away. This is because of Newton’s third law of motion, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. After the skater pushed against the wall, which is the action, there was a reaction that resulted in her gliding away. Another connection to Newton’s third law of motion is the force of gravity and it’s opposite reaction. Because of this, the skater won’t accelerate down or up. Newton’s first law of motion also applies to this situation, which explains the concept of inertia. In the beginning, the skater was standing still and she will continue to stand still unless an extra force is applied. So the 12.32N was the extra force applied for her to change her current motion. This then caused her to move and glided away.

Snapshot.jpg

My current free body diagram

Physics news on Phys.org
I can not draw the force the skater pushed on the force plate. So what should I draw then?
... there are three Newton's Laws: what are they?
... go to a wall and give it a good shove - really push at it! Did you feel anything push you in return?

Off the diagram - you already know which way the skater accelerates.
Since the force has to be in the direction of the acceleration - what does this tell you about the direction of the force?
Since the skater accelerates, there must be a force on her. The skater cannot push on herself to make herself accelerate - so what else is in the diagram that could push on the skater?

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the motion of the object and determine the net force acting on it.

Why is a free body diagram important in studying the motion of an ice skater?

A free body diagram is important in studying the motion of an ice skater because it allows us to identify and analyze the different forces acting on the skater, such as gravity, friction, and normal force. This information can then be used to predict the skater's motion and make adjustments to improve their performance.

What forces are typically included in a free body diagram of an ice skater?

The forces typically included in a free body diagram of an ice skater are gravity, which pulls the skater downward towards the ground, normal force, which is the force exerted by the ice on the skater's blades, and friction, which acts in the opposite direction of the skater's motion.

How do you determine the direction and magnitude of each force in a free body diagram of an ice skater?

The direction of each force in a free body diagram can be determined by the direction in which it is acting on the skater. For example, gravity acts downwards, while normal force acts upwards. The magnitude of each force can be determined using mathematical equations and measurements, such as the skater's weight and the coefficient of friction of the ice.

How can a free body diagram be used to improve an ice skater's performance?

A free body diagram can be used to identify any imbalances or areas of weakness in an ice skater's technique. By analyzing the forces acting on the skater and making adjustments to improve their balance and reduce friction, an ice skater can improve their performance and execute more complex maneuvers with greater control.