Free Body Diagram of Pulley with Friction

In summary: T\underline{}S and T\underline{}L masses meets the circle- which he believes is at the top of the pulley.
sean882

Homework Statement

Draw a freebody diagram of the fixed pulley used in your lab.

I am trying to get ahead in my statics class so I can start preparing for finals, but we haven't covered this in class yet, and it is not in our textbook. Our lab section is a bit ahead of our lecture section. If you could please help me as far as how to correctly show the forces, I would much appreciate it.

At the end of Ts and TL are masses; TL is a set mass, and Ts is a the mass at which the system just barely overcomes static friction and starts to move. The end goal is to calculate the coefficient of friction in the fixed pulley. The only trouble I am having is part a.), which requires us to draw a free body diagram. I need a little assistance with how to include the force of friction into this diagram.

This is a fixed pulley, i.e., it does not rotate. It is as if you superglued the center of a normal pulley, so it will no longer rotate.

I am not sure what forces must be shown on this freebody diagram. Of course the T[tex]\underline{}S[/tex] and T[tex]\underline{}L[/tex] will need to be shown, as well as the angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex] but I am unsure how to show the force of friction in the fbd of the pulley.

Also, would it be necessary to show a moment?

Thank you for your help. Below is a rough diagram made in MS Paint with my attempt so far.[PLAIN]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/842/31808471.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When i have trouble with free body digrams i do the following:
First draw your your force of gravity, then find the normal force of the system, the one that counteracts gravity. Then break up the two masses into their sine and cosines based on there angles. Put these on the free body diagram to help you form an idea of what forces are going in which directions.

Thanks for your help.

I guess a better way to phrase my question would be, where abouts on the pulley would be the proper place to show the force of friction on the circle? My inclination is directly opposite of Ts.

tangent and opposite to the way which the rope will move, so if the rope will move to the right, then the force of friction will also be tangent to the same point where the rope is moving(top of the pulley), and will be pointed to the left..

someone correct me if I'm wrong..

Thank you so much!

:smile:

-Sean

What is a free body diagram of a pulley with friction?

A free body diagram of a pulley with friction is a visual representation of the forces acting on a pulley system, including the effects of friction. It is used to analyze the motion and equilibrium of the pulley system.

What are the forces included in a free body diagram of a pulley with friction?

The forces included in a free body diagram of a pulley with friction are tension, weight, normal force, and frictional force. Tension is the force transmitted by the rope or cable, weight is the force of gravity acting on the pulley and attached objects, normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, and frictional force is the force opposing motion due to the contact between two surfaces.

How is friction represented in a free body diagram of a pulley with friction?

Friction is represented as an arrow pointing in the opposite direction to the motion of the pulley. The length of the arrow is proportional to the magnitude of the frictional force.

What is the significance of a free body diagram of a pulley with friction?

A free body diagram of a pulley with friction is significant because it allows for the analysis of the forces acting on the pulley system, which is important in determining the motion and equilibrium of the system. It also helps to identify any potential sources of error or inefficiencies in the system.

How can a free body diagram of a pulley with friction be used to solve problems?

A free body diagram of a pulley with friction can be used to solve problems by applying Newton's laws of motion and the principles of equilibrium. By analyzing the forces and their directions, it is possible to determine the acceleration and tension in the system and solve for unknown variables.