1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free-body diagram velocity vector

1. Jan 11, 2014 #1
    My teacher gave me a solved problem to practice. There is a free-body diagram of a particle on a tilted plane. The resulting force points in the direction of the negative x-axis, aligned with the inclination of the plane.

Am I the only one that thinks there could also be a velocity vector pointing in the positive direction? After all, the net force only represents acceleration.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2014 #2
    It would be a lot easy if you upload the free-body diagram of that plane, so we can really help you.

4. Jan 11, 2014 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Free Body Diagrams show only the forces and moments (torques) acting on the system or parts of the system. They do not show velocity or acceleration vectors, which, if needed for clarity,, may be shown in a supplemental
    diagram or at least apart from the free body diagram itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted