1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free electron or empty lattice schrodinger equation solution

1. Apr 3, 2015 #1
    in the solution for free electron we start with

X(x) = A exp (ikx) + B exp (-ikx)

then using boundary conditions we eliminate B if the wave is traveling in the positive direction and vice versa
    my questions are:
    1. what is the boundary condition used?
    2. is it X(-inf) = 0? because this would cancel out B and leave A
    3. But then if we also assume that X(inf)=0 then A=0 so we have no wave function and cancel out the electron which is a fallacy

please help i have my midterm on sunday

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2015 #2
    As this is a free electron, remember that if we were to take the integral ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \mathrm{X}^{*}\mathrm{X} = 1##

4. Apr 3, 2015 #3
    X=Aexp(ikx)+Bexp(-ikx)
    X*=Aexp(-ikx)+Bexp(ikx)
    X.X*=A^2+B^2+AB[exp(-2ikx)+exp(2ikx)]
    <XIX>=1
    X(A^2+B^2) +[AB/2ik]*[exp(2ikx)-exp(-2ikx)] = 1

how can I solve that?!!

please help me i am losing time

5. Apr 3, 2015 #4
    really guys I need help here

6. Apr 4, 2015 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It's not so much a question of boundary conditions as one of initial condition. Taking k to be positive, then one case corresponds to a particle of wave number k traveling towards +x, the other to a particle of wave number k traveling towards -x. You then keep the solution that corresponds to the physical situation you want to describe, for instance a particle coming in from ##x = -\infty##.

As for the normalization, I don't know what superluminal had in mind, but a plane wave is not square integrable, and hence can't describe a physical state. For that, you need to build a wave packet by summing over a few plane waves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted