1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free-fall question with extras

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1
    This problem incorporates the main idea of gravitational freefall, but also adds an extra to it, and I get different answers from the back of the book:

A rock is dropped from a sea cliff, and the sound of it striking the ocean is heard 3.2s later. If the speed of sound is 340m/s, how high is the cliff?

Book answer: 46m.
    My answer: 52m.

My solution: Because of the lack of information, I simply used variables to substitute.
    Given: x0 = 0, a = -9.8m/s^2, total time = 3.2s

x = x0 + v0t + .5at^2 = -4.9t^2 => I changed this to 4.9t^2 to reflect a change in point of reference.

Since the speed of sound is given, and x is assigned as above, I determined that the time in which sound travelled up the cliff is 340/x sec. Since the problem is asking for distance, I swapped the variables around with the length to get the following: t^2 = x/4.9 => (x/4.9)^.5 => time it takes to fall down the cliff.

Given that 3.2 s is the total time for the rock to fall AND for the sound to rebound, I wrote down the following: 3.2 = (340/x) + (x/4.9)^.5 . One calculation led to another, and I got the answer at top. Am I right this far and I got my variable switching wrong, or did I do something fundamentally wrong? Eagle eyes most apprecated :D
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

The time for sound to travel x metres at 340 m/s is,

t = x[m]/340[ms^-1]
    t = x/340
  4. Jan 9, 2006 #3

Can you explain how you were able to determine that? I don't quite understand.
  5. Jan 9, 2006 #4
    You are on the right track.

let the distance of the fall = d.

so d = 340(3.2-t) = 1/2(9.8)t^2

Use the quad. eq. to solve for t

ta da
    t = 3.06s, so d = 45.93m
  6. Jan 9, 2006 #5
    So it WAS my calculation! Damn, you made it look so simple! Thanks!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?